By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How did Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition get labeled as having good controls?

If you think the Wii controls are bad just connect a Gamecube controller and then play it. I promise you will go back to the Wii controls.

Your gripes are not about the Wii controls, they are about the controls in general.

Around the Network
bouzane said:
famousringo said:
People get so spoiled by games which allow them to fire rocket launchers while running sideways at full speed with no accuracy loss. If you tried to do something like that in the real world, you'd probably trip and discharge that bazooka into your own face.

If you wanted to shoot somebody in the head in real life, you would plant your feet and take careful aim, just like Leon does. RE4's game design choice (nothing to do with controls) to make you choose between moving and fighting increases tension by adding a slice of realism to an otherwise fantastic scenario. It forces the player to take risks and make choices between attack and escape, and reminds the player that his in-game avatar is mortal, not some god who can dual-wield shotguns while doing somersaults.

It's fun to play both the mortal and the god, but most games (especially shooters) go with the deity, so I found RE4 to be very refreshing.

Good point but it sucks that Leon can't even lean to the left or right to avoid incoming projectiles. (1) I also hate having to pause the game to change weapons or heal (2) and I hate all of the radio conversations and cut-scenes that interupt the gameplay which do nothing but decrease the immersion (and push the flacid storyline). (3) It sucks when a giant group of enemies approach and I have to pause and select the shotgun, unpause and shoot them to the ground, pause and select a grenade, unpause and throw it into the crowd, pause and select my handgun, unpause and continue just to find another group of enemies approaching fast >_<

1. You can actually shoot those down or slash them away with your knife. But with the Wiimote, it's often easier to just shoot them in the head before they even have a chance to throw something at you.

2. But the old style RE games made you do that. The game was not meant to play like an FPS.

3. Skip those, and stop caring about immersion. If you're having fun, then immersion doesn't matter. If you're not having fun, then either stop playig the game, or look at your expectations and ask yourself why you were expecting things never promised.

The game was never promised to be like an FPS. The gaming press didn't even make that. You've played the other RE games, so you should know this was not going to leap into something like Halo or Call of Duty.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

famousringo said:
IllegalPaladin said:
famousringo said:
People get so spoiled by games which allow them to fire rocket launchers while running sideways at full speed with no accuracy loss. If you tried to do something like that in the real world, you'd probably trip and discharge that bazooka into your own face.

If you wanted to shoot somebody in the head in real life, you would plant your feet and take careful aim, just like Leon does. RE4's game design choice (nothing to do with controls) to make you choose between moving and fighting increases tension by adding a slice of realism to an otherwise fantastic scenario. It forces the player to take risks and make choices between attack and escape, and reminds the player that his in-game avatar is mortal, not some god who can dual-wield shotguns while doing somersaults.

It's fun to play both the mortal and the god, but most games (especially shooters) go with the deity, so I found RE4 to be very refreshing.

lol, realistic to stand still to fire any shots, but Leon does MGS: Twin Snakes bullcrap stunts in the cut-scenes. It would seem rather inconsistant that he has to stop moving just to fire a pistol.

I wouldn't have a problem with having to move around and shoot if it didn't feel clunky. It might make me sweat at first, but it became more annoying the further I progressed.

I did say a slice of realism. Pure realism would be brutally boring, after all.

That's fine if some people don't appreciate the game mechanics. I enjoy the variety. And there are probably quite a few things they could do to improve the formula and appease more gamers. A slow walk which reduces accuracy while aiming might be nice. bouzane outlines some frustrations which are quite understandable. I could certainly stand to see the "organizing my suitcase so I can fit all my crap in it" minigame go out the window.

I think having a dodge ability to help you out in a pinch would have helped RE4 to not feel like a pain in the butt to control. If I'm not mistaken, RE5 would be getting something like that so I do intend to play through it because I do want to know what happens.

LordTheNightKnight said:
bouzane said:
famousringo said:

Good point but it sucks that Leon can't even lean to the left or right to avoid incoming projectiles. (1) I also hate having to pause the game to change weapons or heal (2) and I hate all of the radio conversations and cut-scenes that interupt the gameplay which do nothing but decrease the immersion (and push the flacid storyline). (3) It sucks when a giant group of enemies approach and I have to pause and select the shotgun, unpause and shoot them to the ground, pause and select a grenade, unpause and throw it into the crowd, pause and select my handgun, unpause and continue just to find another group of enemies approaching fast >_<

1. You can actually shoot those down or slash them away with your knife. But with the Wiimote, it's often easier to just shoot them in the head before they even have a chance to throw something at you.

2. But the old style RE games made you do that. The game was not meant to play like an FPS.

3. Skip those, and stop caring about immersion. If you're having fun, then immersion doesn't matter. If you're not having fun, then either stop playig the game, or look at your expectations and ask yourself why you were expecting things never promised.

The game was never promised to be like an FPS. The gaming press didn't even make that. You've played the other RE games, so you should know this was not going to leap into something like Halo or Call of Duty.

I didn't mind having to shoot them in the GC version but the PS2 version gives you half as much ammo so I'd have to use the knife and I'd usually take the axe/scythe to the face. I know it wasn't meant to play like an FPS and as a result it was awkward and clunky. Why have to pause the game so many times when there is a perfectly good alternative? Even Silent Hill 3 allowed me to strafe and do some basic "weapon" changing without pausing and that was a survival-horror game. When I play a horror title, I expect immersion. I play purely for fun when I play an FPS. RE4 didn't really succeed on either front which is my big complaint.