By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - game of the year 2008

my best game this year, was without any contest super smash bros brawl, what's your best game of the year 2008

Around the Network

Well, it may be a bit of a niche choice, but for me the hands-down winner is Endless Ocean. A huge, relaxing, rewarding enjoyathon.

Tough call for me. Probably LBP, but man I played a lot of great games this year.

I'd have to say LittleBigPlanet. I don't think any other game really deserves any mention for GOTY except maybe MGS4.

Super Smash Bros Brawl with now doubt, then maybe Little Big Planet, Mario Kart

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network
bouzane said:
I'd have to say LittleBigPlanet. I don't think any other game really deserves any mention for GOTY except maybe MGS4.

You have no one to blame for that but yourself.  Buy another console if you only found 2 GotY candidates this year.  I can think of at least one on every console and handheld this year.

Metal Gear Solid 4 and Little Big Planet. yeah fallout was great, but not any close to those 2 games

naznatips said:
bouzane said:

You have no one to blame for that but yourself.  Buy another console if you only found 2 GotY candidates this year.  I can think of at least one on every console and handheld this year.

I've played Gears of War 2, Fallout 3, Left4Dead, Spore, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and many other games on the other platforms. Many of my friends own several consoles and I get to play on them frequently. Do not presume that a person picks GOTY candidates from the console they own because they have no experience with the games available on other systems.

bouzane said:
naznatips said:
bouzane said:

I've played Gears of War 2, Fallout 3, Left4Dead, Spore, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and many other games on the other platforms. Many of my friends own several consoles and I get to play on them frequently. Do not presume that a person picks GOTY candidates from the console they own because they have no experience with the games available on other systems.

"Playing a game at a friends" (which is a dubious claim at best, since you have no way to prove this whatsoever, and could be feeding us complete BS, which will always be my assumption for claims like this) is never enough to judge its quality.  I would never let our reviewers for example review a game they hadn't beaten and spent signifficant time with.  You have no perspective to judge, and your opinion, while you are welcome to it, is certainly not as useful to this discussion as those who own multiple platforms.

naznatips said:
bouzane said:
naznatips said:
bouzane said:

"Playing a game at a friends" (which is a dubious claim at best, since you have no way to prove this whatsoever, and could be feeding us complete BS, which will always be my assumption for claims like this) is never enough to judge its quality.  I would never let our reviewers for example review a game they hadn't beaten and spent signifficant time with.  You have no perspective to judge, and your opinion, while you are welcome to it, is certainly not as useful to this discussion as those who own multiple platforms.

Clearly my opinion of Gears of War 2 is invalid despite having completed the game due to not owning the hardware. God forbid that I can formulate an opinion on Spore after a good 25+ hours of gametime. My opinion on the games in question is as valid as anybody else's and I listed them because I have enough expirence with them to compare them to LittleBigPlanet and MGS4. If I had not, then I would not have listed them at all. Drop some of the paranoia and do not treat people like fanboys, it's insulting. In my opinion LittleBigPlanet is easily the best game this year and it has nothing to do with the gaming platform that I currently own. Please, do not assume so much about others, I spend more time gaming in other people's households then my own.