By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 720p or 1080p?

Obligatory posting of "THE CHART" for any resolution discussion thread:

I'm staring at a 21" 1080p computer monitor right now.  There's a *very* noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p on it from where I'm sitting.....so size isn't the only thing to consider.

Around the Network

^^^That

Edit:  A basic rule of thumb when considering buying a 720p vs. 1080p TV is, are you going for 50" or larger, or less than 50"?

If you're going for a set smaller than 50", then a 720p set is fine, and alot cheaper too... most  42"-50" 720p plasmas can be purchased for under a grand, sometimes as low as $700 for some 42" models.  Most LCDs 42" and larger are usually 1080p anyway, though they are a bit pricier.  Basically its not worth spending the extra money on a 1080p set unless your going big, in which case most sets on the market these days 50" and larger are 1080p anyway.

Another general rule:  unless you have Blu-Ray or a PS3/360 to take advantage of 1080p, there's no point in getting a 1080p set since HDTV is broadcast in 720p/1080i anyway.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

yeah, depending on size, a bump between 1080p and 720p is noticeable, small but noticeable. Now a the bump between 480p and 720p is enormous. My next TV will be 1080p, if that's any consololation.

I have stong opinions. Slanted they may be. Uninformed they are not

If your TV displays 1080p, there's no reason not to let the 360 upscale to that resolution. I gather the upscaling is done in hardware, so there shouldn't be any framerate hit. As for the PS3 I heard it upscales partly in software, so it may be different. Try and compare.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I love the chart.  We're all assuming the OP will be sitting on the couch about 4-6 away from the television.  But yes, distance/size are both very relevant criteria when determining resolution types.

I have stong opinions. Slanted they may be. Uninformed they are not