By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Fans, will you trade the Wiimote for Horsepower?

psychoBrew said:
RayRay102 said:

The thing about Nintendo is they are always the pioneer in Gaming.

1. NES..Mario Brother brought gaming out of the ghetto.
2. SNES, First Console with 3d graphic chip ie. Star Fox.
3. N64 - First console with analog stick..Now a standard.
4. Mario 64 - Bringing platformer to 3D.
5. Now Wii with its Wiimote.

That is why I love about Nintendo, they seems to be 2 steps ahead of the competition in innovation.

I just wish the Wii look a little better on my LCD, that is all.

I agree with everything except number 4.  An analog stick is basically the same thing that was available before the NES took gaming to the game pad.  The only difference is it was designed to be opperated with your thumb.

Pre-64, most home consoles with joysticks had digital, not analog, sticks.

Around the Network
stof said:
yup. I'd gladly give up motion controls for a chance to play Wii Sports in HD. The Mii's would look so crisp!

That is true in a way but some of the biggest games on Wii doesn't even required the use or have little use of the wiimote such as Zelda, Mario Kart and Super Smash Brothers. I know because I used to own a wii and have all those games. If those games were upgrade to HD graphics, that would be insane.

But the counter arguement is games like Wii Sports and Metroid Wii are better and/or neccessary with the wiimote.

Please, Nintendo I begged you..release a Wii HD NOW!

"if the Wii was as powerful as the 360, Nintendo could be enjoying games like GTA4, Fallout 3, Resident Evil 5, and etc"

That only proves they aren't being down-ported at the moment. But Capcom is porting Dead Rising, which they wouldn't even put on the PS3 or PC, so who knows?

Okay, the result likely will disappoint a lot, but it's likely to make money, which Capcom seems to like.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

No. If I want experiences like what you're describing, I would buy a 360 in addition to my Wii.

Which I did.

LordTheNightKnight said:
" I agree with everything except number 4. An analog stick is basically the same thing that was available before the NES took gaming to the game pad. The only difference is it was designed to be opperated with your thumb."

First of all, that was point 3. Second of all, joysticks could only move in 8 directions, with no sensitivity. So that is bloody wrong to assume thumbs are the only difference.

A)  I screwed that one up

B)  Analog joysticks could move in any direction with any amount of speed.  The Atari 2600 may have been 8 way directional (like the gam pad), but others had complete freedom in direction and sensititivity (look at the Atari 5200 if you want to see an example).

Around the Network
misterd said:
psychoBrew said:
RayRay102 said:

That is why I love about Nintendo, they seems to be 2 steps ahead of the competition in innovation.

I agree with everything except number 4.  An analog stick is basically the same thing that was available before the NES took gaming to the game pad.  The only difference is it was designed to be opperated with your thumb.

Pre NES, most controls were analog.

LordTheNightKnight said:
"if the Wii was as powerful as the 360, Nintendo could be enjoying games like GTA4, Fallout 3, Resident Evil 5, and etc"

That only proves they aren't being down-ported at the moment. But Capcom is porting Dead Rising, which they wouldn't even put on the PS3 or PC, so who knows?

Okay, the result likely will disappoint a lot, but it's likely to make money, which Capcom seems to like.

I know dead rising is coming to the wii but it is a stripped down version of the Original. It never have more than a dozen zombies on screen at once compared to the hundreds of the 360 version. http://kotaku.com/5040381/dead-rising-wii-+-how-gimped-it-is .

Here is the point I was trying to make at the beginning. Horsepower or control innovation, take your pick. In Dead Risinf Chop till you Drop, it is quit fun because it uses the wiimote to swing a baseball bat or shoot a pistol but at the same time it is not like the HD version where you get way more enemies on screen for a better overall challege and bigger environments and textures.

My original post was to aim directly at Wii only owner. If they just have a wii, will they just take function over substance. And most of you chose the wiimote.

psychoBrew said:
misterd said:
psychoBrew said:
RayRay102 said:

Pre NES, most controls were analog.

Pre Super Mario 64, most games were digital

So what if the Atari 5200 had an analogue input if none of the games used it

No, HD graphics are an optional extra for me. Besides with 2160p not even being introduced until the mid 2010s, Nintendo has plenty of time to release an HD console in the early 2010s to level the playing field.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

NO!!!!

The only reason i have a home console this generation is because of motion controllers