By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Dreaming of the next Xbox disc format... Literally

nightsurge said:
No comments on my extremely random, vivid dream? :(

Was it really vivid? Or u using the word as an analogy and never had a dream in the first place, but read som bloggers article about HD DVD2?

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
nightsurge said:
No comments on my extremely random, vivid dream? :(

Was it really vivid? Or u using the word as an analogy and never had a dream in the first place, but read som bloggers article about HD DVD2?

I seriously had the dream!  Last night!  Or probably early morning, actually.  If I had any decent graphics program I'd sketch up what it was I saw.  You can search for blogs about some HD-DVD2 but you sure won't find anything like what I'm saying... that is unless someone else had the dream!!!

I don't want to call your brain stupid, but an HD DVD2 would be a quick failure, especially if the disc could only hold 250GB, when Blu-ray discs have already be made that hold 400GB, on one side to boot.

The only problem with the PS3's Blu-ray drive is it's only 2X and by the time the next generation rolls around 12X-16X drives should be available, if not faster.

If there is another physical format for games (which I'm pretty sure there will be) it will be Blu-ray.

I do kinda wonder at the download content only consoles. Assuming 2010 as the start of the next gen is DSL/CABLE internet going to have penetrated enough homes at high enough speeds (5-10 megabits) for this to be viable. Sure many, maybe even most games will fit 1-2 gigs, but for the games I like to play 5 gigs is minimum. I seriously wouldn't want to wait a week to play a game when I could just pick up the hard copy and play that day.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Username2324 said:
I don't want to call your brain stupid, but an HD DVD2 would be a quit failure, especially if the disc could only hold 250GB, when Blu-ray discs have already be made that hold 400GB, on one side to boot.

The only problem with the PS3's Blu-ray drive is it's only 2X and by the time the next generation rolls around 12X-16X drives should be available, if not faster.

If there is another physical format for games (which I'm pretty sure there will be) it will be Blu-ray.

Only problem there is that the read spead is determined is so low due to the MANY multiple layers of a BD.  The 400GB discs will still be 2X read spead until they can create some technology that reads multi-layer discs much faster, or make each layer hold more space.  If they are really pushing for 400GB Blu-Rays, the added layers will mean a much harder time of creating such a device that can read all those layers at a reasonable speed.  I doubt there will be 16x Blu-Ray drives in 2011. 

Also, you seem to forget that games don't need to consume 400GB of data.  A next gen game now would struggle to use all the space on a 50GB Blu-Ray.  MGS4 only did because they didn't want to have the video or audio files compressed in any way.  A 126GB disc, if it ever were to exist, would be enough space to fit 18.5 Gears of War 2's.  Or 2.5 MGS4's uncompressed. I think developers would be hard pressed to use up that much space.  Plus my dream technology was hypothetical and I have no idea what the specs would be past the 126GB space.  It was a weird dream, but by no means would it be a failure if they did make an HD-DVD2.  The players were better, the discs read faster, they were cheaper to produce... all positives.  Blu-Ray will be a great HD video disc for a few more years, but it will likely be the last disc format used for video and data.  The next Xbox data format could very well be some sort of Flash memory, but it is much more likely to be a new disc format and save pure downloads or pure flash memory for the NEXT next gen in 2018 or so.

EDIT: Oh and thank you d21lewis for adding some more humor which I had hoped for .  Unfortunately for you, I not only have the "sight" but the "power" to control space and time.  I will do whatever it takes to stop you from stopping this future from coming true! Man, I am such a Heroes nerd.  Gotta love that show.

Around the Network

I knew it was a moot point to argue this because of the people who insist that disc-based media will 'soon be obsolete'..

The Wii not supporting an HD format means absolutely nothing. The Wii is an anomaly; Sony nor Microsoft will ever have the unprecedented success that the Nintendo has had with the Wii. EVER. A lot of people consider the reason the PS2 ended Sega's bid in the console war at the Dreamcast to be because the PS2 included DVD playback. Everyone knows the Dreamcast was a stronger console.

I'm done arguing..if you think downloadable games and media is going to happen by the next generation of consoles, you're flat out insane. Like, go back to school and learn common knowledge-insane. Nintendo's next console won't have Blu-Ray, but it will have their own proprietary version of Blu-Ray. Microsoft may do the same thing just to avoid supporting Sony in any way, but their next console WILL UNDOUBTEDLY BE DISC-BASED and if you think otherwise, you're just plain wrong.

It's funny reading articles on MSN and stuff when they talk about media formats. They still talk about HDDVD like its a real thing. Bah hah hah~ They'll probably just use like 4 DVDs per game like Sega and Sony did with the PS1 and Dreamcast/Saturn.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

nightsurge said:
Username2324 said:
I don't want to call your brain stupid, but an HD DVD2 would be a quit failure, especially if the disc could only hold 250GB, when Blu-ray discs have already be made that hold 400GB, on one side to boot.

Only problem there is that the read spead is determined is so low due to the MANY multiple layers of a BD.  The 400GB discs will still be 2X read spead until they can create some technology that reads multi-layer discs much faster, or make each layer hold more space.  If they are really pushing for 400GB Blu-Rays, the added layers will mean a much harder time of creating such a device that can read all those layers at a reasonable speed.  I doubt there will be 16x Blu-Ray drives in 2011. 

Also, you seem to forget that games don't need to consume 400GB of data.  A next gen game now would struggle to use all the space on a 50GB Blu-Ray.  MGS4 only did because they didn't want to have the video or audio files compressed in any way.  A 126GB disc, if it ever were to exist, would be enough space to fit 18.5 Gears of War 2's.  Or 2.5 MGS4's uncompressed. I think developers would be hard pressed to use up that much space.  Plus my dream technology was hypothetical and I have no idea what the specs would be past the 126GB space.  It was a weird dream, but by no means would it be a failure if they did make an HD-DVD2.  The players were better, the discs read faster, they were cheaper to produce... all positives.  Blu-Ray will be a great HD video disc for a few more years, but it will likely be the last disc format used for video and data.  The next Xbox data format could very well be some sort of Flash memory, but it is much more likely to be a new disc format and save pure downloads or pure flash memory for the NEXT next gen in 2018 or so.

EDIT: Oh and thank you d21lewis for adding some more humor which I had hoped for .  Unfortunately for you, I not only have the "sight" but the "power" to control space and time.  I will do whatever it takes to stop you from stopping this future from coming true! Man, I am such a Heroes nerd.  Gotta love that show.

Is that why I can buy a 6X blu-ray drive for my computer?

You're forgetting that "HD DVD2" would have no install base by which time Blu-ray would have most likely taken over the market. The read speeds are already above 2X and by 2011 I am 100% that a 12X drive will be available.

I'm not going to argue with your dream, but it simply wouldn't/won't happen.

I can't believe with the Wii's success and the PS3's troubles people still believe blu-ray will be an important feature next gen. It boggles my mind.  Blu-ray won't be the only tech to hold more data than dvds.

Phrancheyez said:
I knew it was a moot point to argue this because of the people who insist that disc-based media will 'soon be obsolete'..

The Wii not supporting an HD format means absolutely nothing. The Wii is an anomaly; Sony nor Microsoft will ever have the unprecedented success that the Nintendo has had with the Wii. EVER. A lot of people consider the reason the PS2 ended Sega's bid in the console war at the Dreamcast to be because the PS2 included DVD playback. Everyone knows the Dreamcast was a stronger console.

I'm done arguing..if you think downloadable games and media is going to happen by the next generation of consoles, you're flat out insane. Like, go back to school and learn common knowledge-insane. Nintendo's next console won't have Blu-Ray, but it will have their own proprietary version of Blu-Ray. Microsoft may do the same thing just to avoid supporting Sony in any way, but their next console WILL UNDOUBTEDLY BE DISC-BASED and if you think otherwise, you're just plain wrong.

I couldn't agree more.  The next generation is almost guaranteed to be disc based, although Flash memory based could very well be an option by then.  Still, the downloadable era is definitlely at least one more generation off, same with Flash memory.  Microsoft and Nintendo will likely create their own proprietary discs rather than help Blu-Ray's cause, which is what I was arguing for.  Everyone seems to think that Blu-Ray is the only option for next generation, but they forget that Blu-Ray is only on its 3rd year, and not yet a "necessity".  Not even by 2011 will BD Players be down to the cheap <$50 price that DVD got to.  Even if it is, what's to say no one will ever make something better within the next 3 years?

Oh, and the Wii is not an anomaly, it is merely an innovation.  Anyone has just as much chance as Nintendo.  All MS or Sony has to do is create something even more innovative and fun that appeals to everyone, not just the old spectrum of "gamers."  Oh and the Dreamcast did not lose just because of lack of DVD play back.  It lost because it had a major technical issue involving production, a bad brand name from Sega Saturn and 32X, poor developer support (mostly because of the bad rep from the Saturn/32X), as well as a host of online gaming issues.