By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How come the XBOX supported up to 1080i and the PS2 didn't?

I have a simple question, why is it the XBOX supported resolutions up to 1080i but later versions of the PS2 did not? I know that the early versions of the PS2 couldn't but why not later revisions like the slim PS2?

I was playing Halo 2 on my XBOX at 720p and it looked awesome. Why couldn't Sony add this?

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Around the Network

There are 3 times as many pixels at 1080i/720p than there are at 480p, and it will take 3 times as much processing power to complete any pixel-related operation at 1080i/720p than it will at 480p ...

same reason why Nintendo won't release the Wii HD unless it is a brand new system.

New games could take advantage of it, but would also have to contain a version that runs on the old systems. This would be extra cost to developers, and you would fracture your userbase.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Thanks for the answers. I just was curious.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Basically, the original Xbox was a metric asston more powerful than the PS2.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

Hmmm, last time I checked the PS2 supported 1080i. After all, it was nothing more than a pixel-pushing machine. No fancy lighting, polygon, textures or shaders technology... but it sure had a massive amount of pixel fillrate.

Probably with the change to the Slim and the further miniaturization, they couldn't keep the HD-Out or something.

Because the xbox was a technical behemoth?

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Actually, Grand Turismo 4 supported 1080i for the PS2. "The game looks stunning and with the 480p and 1080i modes for the lucky HDTV owners out there it gets even better."---IGN

Link:
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/589/589617p1.html

Remember, there was no reason for gamers to purchase HDTVs last gen, 99% of games supported 480p only.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

The PS2 would do 1080i but very few titles supported it. GT4 was the best known title with 1080i support.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

GT4 and Tourist Trophy (both by Polyphony Digital) are the only PS2 games to ever support 1080i...