By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If you could download and rent/buy full version games, would you?

Many people already do that... =))
They share their games and other people download them. :)
Also, if the game is really good, they often burn it on dvd.
People do this already maybe for last 5-7 years.

DD FTW! =)))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
Squilliam said:

Microsoft intelligently designed their system to have a smaller disc capacity to take advantage of next gen internet speeds. Thats why I put it here rather than in the gaming forums as the Wii doesn't have a HDD and the PS3 doesn't have games you could reasonably download anyway. Obviously many people already do so with Steam so yes, you got here first apart from the rental part.

If Microsoft started offering you the chance to download and buy/rent games which are older than say 3 months (to not piss of the retailers too much) would you take advantage of that feature?

Yes, of course . I believe it is the futur of gaming distribution. I believe XBL and the new software architecture of the NXE is the first step towards this model.

I wouldn't be suprised to see the next xbox being disc-free..

Lets face it : HDD cost less and less, while distributing medias and softwares on discs is the middle-age !

The only worries I have is that this model might not be popularized too quickly: Countries aren't equally equipped with internet infrastructure, capability and prices. It is a dangerous bet to standardize this mode of distribution in a single shot.

I personnaly dislike retailers, their added-value is minimal, but their are still fullfilling an important purpose : Distribution.

I believe that MS will aim at an hybrid model for the next generation, but will cleary keep pushing the online content instead of the traditional model. Lets face it, the new model could easily generate more revenues and better marging, and quickly close the gap to abandon the retailers.

It is about having a (customized) service oriented distribution system, instead of a constrained-logistic-driven distribution system.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

At the same price, retail games have much more value. You can sell them, or lend them to a friend. Download games are just a license for one person to play, and have no value to anyone else when you are done with it.

What is the additional value of the physical game worth? If you can get $15 - $20 trade in on a newer $60 game, that is 25% to 33% less value for the digital only copy.

If you could download a game for $45 vs paying $60 retail, that seems like a fair trade-off for most people. It would also help with the second-hand market, as you could download the game for $45 vs. paying $56 at Gamestop for a used copy. Publishers would then get money from you, not just Gamestop getting the money for used sales.

The problem of course, is that publishers still want $60 from you for the "convenience" of downloading the game, even though the game make be a few months old, and is a lesser value that a retail copy. Gamestop will push for this as well to preserve their market for new and used games.

Depends on pricing, wich reminds me I had to wait three years for video marketplace (living in Europe) and it's horribly overpriced.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

No.

You can rent games from gamefly for much cheaper, and keep them forever.

Or BlockBuster.

And 20 GB owners would be screwed.

I do like Retail and downloadable games though, choice is always nice.

Around the Network

Most likely not because I prefer to have a physical copy of a game... Unless it would be rare or a game you can only download, I wouldn't buy it online. Plus, I like after months or even years, to replay games, for nostalgia.

I would say yes, with a few provisions:

1) It would need to be cheaper than the physical media.
2) There should be a provision for a manual. Whether they email it to you as a PDF or something, or mail you one automatically.

Also, i think it would be a good idea, but with a delayed launch. Online version launches a few months later as a fair steep price reduction. When the game in stores is going from $60 to $50, it should be $30ish online. The target of this model would be going after the second-hand market. People would get the full game for a great savings by waiting... and better for the dev to get a smaller cut per game, then get nothing from someone buying it used.