By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you think a PS3 FFVII remake would outsell FFXIII?

leo-j said:
Kasz216 said:
Not on the PS3 it wouldn't... on another system it has a shot.

Whats the difference? If people want a FF VII remake, then they would just buy the system with the remake. Why do you think FF gamers got a playstation?

I got one for FF7.  It was also much cheaper.

People aren't going to buy a PS3 for a remake.

Way too expensive.

If they aren't buying it for 13 they aren't going to buy it for 7.

Lots of casuals who bought FF7 have just outgrown gaming in 10 years anyway... or are we betting on the new crowd who's never even played the game?

Around the Network

I doubt the ps3 would stll be $399 if we ever see a remake release (seeing how long it takes square to release FF XIII..)

Also i really dont have an answer for the "people will grow old and forget about FF VII" theory of yours, it makes sense..

mM

I first read it as FF XII and though "yeah, that should be easy." XIII, though, is a little harder. I think it could be done if either both or neither were exclusive, but SE really has to drop the ball on XIII for it to not outsell even the best of PS3 exclusives. Guess we'll see if they got some of the old magic back or if 13 continues the slide 12 began (okay, 11 is also seriously to blame, and shoulda just been called FFOnline)

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Kasz216 said:
leo-j said:
Kasz216 said:

Whats the difference? If people want a FF VII remake, then they would just buy the system with the remake. Why do you think FF gamers got a playstation?

Way too expensive.

Lots of casuals who bought FF7 have just outgrown gaming in 10 years anyway... or are we betting on the new crowd who's never even played the game?

You couldn't be more wrong, dude.  FF13 won't make me budge an inch, but if FF7 gets announced I absolutely will have a PS3 by launch.  Period.  I'm not alone in this sentiment, either, and have heard it from a lot people I know.  Many were even saying they'd pay more than launch price before the PS3 came out if there was going to be a guarenteed FF7 remake. 

FF7 is an established game.  People know it's made of pure quality and that a remake would only put further polish on it by making it look and sound better and the massive errors in the script would be fixed as well.  People would be all over FF7, while most people I know are tentative about 13 after the failure that 12 was (not that it was especially bad), and most I know have lost faith in SE's ability to make a great RPG completely.  The thing is, they pretty much can't screw up FF7 unless they actually put effort into working on it, and they don't do that, so all we'd see is graphical and musical upgrades (and the fixed script) plus a few more cutscenes.

Seriously, an FF7 remake, even as a PS3 exclusive, is pretty much a guarenteed 5 million units sold and could challenge the original if somehow Sony reestablishes their dominance (over 360, they're not beating Wii).

Would it be exclusive? If yes, I believe that is a large pro.

Still, remakes don't sell that much. FFXIII on Ps3 is going to sell what? 3 million? 4 million? That's a lot.

A FF7 remake would probably be large (ala 1.5-2M), but it simply cannot match a completely new game, no matter how much advertisement and such it would get.

As a general note, remakes don't outsell new installments. That (almost) never happens. If it happened with Final Fantasy, there would be something seriously wrong happening to the series.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network
Oyvoyvoyv said:

Still, remakes don't sell that much. FFXIII on Ps3 is going to sell what? 3 million? 4 million? That's a lot.

A FF7 remake would probably be large (ala 1.5-2M), but it simply cannot match a completely new game, no matter how much advertisement and such it would get.

As a general note, remakes don't outsell new installments. That (almost) never happens. If it happened with Final Fantasy, there would be something seriously wrong happening to the series.

if a new ip like Uncharted can sell 2.5million copies...FF VII lol wow not even going to argue

mM
ChichiriMuyo said:
Kasz216 said:
leo-j said:
Kasz216 said:

Way too expensive.

You couldn't be more wrong, dude.  FF13 won't make me budge an inch, but if FF7 gets announced I absolutely will have a PS3 by launch.  Period.  I'm not alone in this sentiment, either, and have heard it from a lot people I know.  Many were even saying they'd pay more than launch price before the PS3 came out if there was going to be a guarenteed FF7 remake. 

FF7 is an established game.  People know it's made of pure quality and that a remake would only put further polish on it by making it look and sound better and the massive errors in the script would be fixed as well.  People would be all over FF7, while most people I know are tentative about 13 after the failure that 12 was (not that it was especially bad), and most I know have lost faith in SE's ability to make a great RPG completely.  The thing is, they pretty much can't screw up FF7 unless they actually put effort into working on it, and they don't do that, so all we'd see is graphical and musical upgrades (and the fixed script) plus a few more cutscenes.

Seriously, an FF7 remake, even as a PS3 exclusive, is pretty much a guarenteed 5 million units sold and could challenge the original if somehow Sony reestablishes their dominance (over 360, they're not beating Wii).

And you wouldn't buy FF13 afterwords?

Aside from you and your friends anctdotal evidecnce.

You would buy a PS3 and say "That's it!"

And not buy FF13?

Cause i'd guess you would buy FF13... as would most "people you know" who wanted to buy FF7.  What with 13 supposed to be it's spiritual sucessor.

Thereby nullifying any such effect... and not counting people who just wouldn't want a remake of an old game.

How do you know it can't match the original? SE usually finds themselves selling over a million copies of their remakes/rereleases anyway, and they barely advertise those at all. If FF7 had TV ads in the way the first game did, expecting less than 2 million would be an absolute joke.

leo-j said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

if a new ip like Uncharted can sell 2.5million copies...FF VII lol wow not even going to argue

I stand by my point. Uncharted sold awesome, but it was an exception from the rule.

I may have undershot FF7 though. I see now that FF3 (DS) sold 2.25M and that IV will sell the same. FF7 is a game that could equal that, if not beat it. 2-2.5M is more reasonable.

Still, FF13 (Ps3) will be selling 4-5M or something. There's no chance a FF7 remake will beat that.

I can't think of any console remake that has sold over 2M, can you?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Well I cant think of any console remakes..

FF VII would surely sell more than 2.5million, it has a huge fanbase.

mM