By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is realistic graphics so important?

Well if you are playing quite a realistic game, why would you not want photorealistic graphics.

I don't understand the point you are making in the OP, why would you not want the more exciting looking second living room to look better?

Also, why would you not want things like racers, sports games etc to look 100% photorealistic

Around the Network
playnext3 said:
realistic graphiks is for the immersion of the gamer

So how come Lair doesn't emmerse barelly no one?

One_touch_KO said:
playnext3 said:

Ummm...because it sucks?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I prefer style over realism but I do understand that in some games realism is a better option, though I don't play those games. And I agree very realistic graphics are boring to look at. You go wow when you first see it but then it just becomes boring.

One_touch_KO said:
playnext3 said:

Because it has really crappy graphics

Around the Network
lolita said:
I prefer style over realism but I do understand that in some games realism is a better option, though I don't play those games. And I agree very realistic graphics are boring to look at. I go wow when I first see it but then it just becomes boring.

Quick fix.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Realism is for Google Images, not for video games.

You're right, real life is boring, but running around shooting zombies or jumping across buildings in real life is damn exiting.

NightstrikerX posted:
"
My point is that while photorealistic graphics would be a cool thing. It would make the games visually boring, now. Not everyone's seen bullets whizzing by them while the dust kicked up by a tank's tracks blinds your vision in real life, but we're not aiming to see these things in real life, if you did. You'll join the army, not pick up the latest Battlefield 2 game."

I'm not sure what fallacy that is NightstrikerX, but let me tell you this..
You are making assumptions on the leisure desires of ordinary people years and years into the future.

Back in 1972 when people started inserting their pocket change into a strange and funny coin-op apparatus called Pong, did they envision the advent of massive Arcade Hall gaming in the 80s?
Probably not. Innovation is not static (nor is it generic). In that respect we could ask ourselves.. What really constitutes gaming in the future? In the year 2060, the only thing we really do know is that good graphics will be right there out of the box, for us to enjoy. Some people will prefer games that have the "polished look" of your 2nd picture, others will opt for games with the "dull"(?!) photo-realistic gfx (like in your 1st picture).

The harder they push for real life graphics, the further they seem to get from it. The character animations for the most part are the biggest hindrance. My brain wants to experience, indeed is hungry for alternative realities. I could get more immersed in a cell shaded game than a photo realistic one any day. 

By the way this is my first post, glad to be here. This is one of the most intellegent gaming sites on the net.

Peace!