By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I sell my PS3?

I don't get why people sell back and buy back consoles? It seems like wasted effort. You have to pay tax on the thing TWICE, you don't get as much back for your console as you paid for it, and price cuts don't really happen that often. You will probably end up losing money trying to sell it back and then buy it back later at a lower price.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

You don't sound very happy with your purchase, so I think you should... but if you are gonna sell it, do it before another price cut. Just so you don't lose all that much money.

akuma587 said:
This is just my personal experience, so take it at that, but I am honestly having a harder time figuring out what games I am NOT going to buy for the PS3 this Christmas. The list so far is:

Definites:

Warhawk
Lair
Heavenly Sword
Folklore
Assassin's Creed
Uncharted
Ratchet and Clank
Folklore

You must really like Folklore.

akuma587 said:
Its your decision, but I think you should give it a little longer. Are you returning it or selling it used? If time is an issue, you might not have time to wait and check out the future PS3 games.

This is just my personal experience, so take it at that, but I am honestly having a harder time figuring out what games I am NOT going to buy for the PS3 this Christmas. The list so far is:

Definites:

Warhawk
Lair
Heavenly Sword
Folklore
Assassin's Creed
Uncharted
Ratchet and Clank
Folklore

Maybes:

Unreal Tournament 3
Haze (probably one or the other of these two)
Singstar
Guitar Hero 3 (comes out on Wii too of course)
a few others

If only so you don't miss out on the great PS3/360 multiplats like GTA, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty 4 I would recommend you keep it. If cost is an issue, I would recommend renting first. They post demos too if you are into that kind of thing. If you need the money from the PS3 I can understand, but it is not like the machine is worthless even if you don't buy a ton of games for it. I just recommend giving it a little time unless you have to return the PS3 immediately or something to get your money back.

O yeah, something else random. I was browsing IGN and it looks like they have the GT5 prologue set for Oct. 23rd on the PSN. That should be a much more complete version of the game. I don't really like racing games, but even I know Gran Turismo is a great series.

what he said...

and NO, don't, you'll definitely regret it and will be making a thread saying so in about 6-9 mos from now.

It's very early in the PS3's life, it has another very good 4-5 years (or more) left ahead of it and will lhave some pretty amazing exclusive games. But if the money is bothering you think of it this way, it's not like this is a yearly thing you have to pay out on, you won't have to again until 2012 or longer.  But if it bothers you too much then I guess you can always sell it and let someone else enjoy it.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
It's very early in the PS3's life, it has another very good 4-5 years (or more) left ahead of it and will lhave some pretty amazing exclusive games. But if the money is bothering you think of it this way, it's not like this is a yearly thing you have to pay out on, you won't have to again until 2012 or longer.

Yup, some of these people are acting like it costs you money just to have the damn thing.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Uhh, he says he is not interested in anything coming up, so I don't see why he'd regret it in 6-9mos. Maybe a few years out.

As for me, purchases are likely
Haze (and this is very iffy)
Uncharted

Maybe a buy
R&C
Warhawk

Pick up used/in bargain bin
Heavenly Sword
Lair

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

vizunary said:

akuma587 said:
Its your decision, but I think you should give it a little longer. Are you returning it or selling it used? If time is an issue, you might not have time to wait and check out the future PS3 games.

Definites:

Warhawk - I was really interested, but I just don't care for 12 year olds talking trash
Lair - I am leaning away now, because of the bad reviews. Moderate reviews don't bother me, but this was bad.
Heavenly Sword - I probably will buy it, I liked the demo (ALOT). But the gameplay seems like it could have been done on PS2.
Folklore - eh.
Assassin's Creed - not for me.
Uncharted - looks really good, but I suck at adventure games
Ratchet and Clank - I hate this series with a passion

Maybes:

Unreal Tournament 3 - One FPS is enough a year, Haze and MP3 is already pushing it for me.
Haze (probably one or the other of these two) - Yes
Singstar - I buy lots karaoke games.
Guitar Hero 3 (comes out on Wii too of course) - Getting the Wii version for added motion control (I know I am missing out on possible downloadable songs)
a few others

If only so you don't miss out on the great PS3/360 multiplats like GTA, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty 4 I would recommend you keep it. If cost is an issue, I would recommend renting first. They post demos too if you are into that kind of thing. If you need the money from the PS3 I can understand, but it is not like the machine is worthless even if you don't buy a ton of games for it. I just recommend giving it a little time unless you have to return the PS3 immediately or something to get your money back.

O yeah, something else random. I was browsing IGN and it looks like they have the GT5 prologue set for Oct. 23rd on the PSN. That should be a much more complete version of the game. I don't really like racing games, but even I know Gran Turismo is a great series.

what he said...

and NO, don't, you'll definitely regret it and will be making a thread saying so in about 6-9 mos from now.

That seems very likely. I regret trading in my broken 360.

akuma587 said:

Legend11 said:
It's very early in the PS3's life, it has another very good 4-5 years (or more) left ahead of it and will lhave some pretty amazing exclusive games. But if the money is bothering you think of it this way, it's not like this is a yearly thing you have to pay out on, you won't have to again until 2012 or longer.

I know, I will lose more money if I rebuy it, but I probably wouldn't rebuy it.

Yup, some of these people are acting like it costs you money just to have the damn thing.

I know it doesn't cost money to own.  I am saying I feel like it was a extravagant purchase that I shouldn't have made.  This makes it so I find it hard to enjoy the games.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

akuma587 said:
Legend11 said:

Of course it does. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/opportunity cost

Sell it.. If you have to question or justify the ps3. Your not worthy of it :P give it away to some poor soul who needs it :P j/k

I think you'll regret it when you do. :(

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil