By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I finally bought Gears of War 2.

..; I thought that part was not to hard infact some kind of easy just drive slowly.

Anyway I didn't really touched that game anymore. After I finished the Singleplayer I stopped playing it (except when some friends come over) but I don't like those Team multiplayer matches. I am quite the huge Free for all/deathmatch fan.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:

The vehicle parts were a mixed bag. The ride in the centaur, especially when you're in the middle of the icy waters, was so frustrating that I slammed down my controller in frustration and accidentally smashed my own balls. The Brumak riding, on the other hand, was one of the most fun parts in the entire campaign.

I had a pretty easy time with that part.

The Skorge battle, on the other hand, that had me infuriated... Those stupid fucking columns kept getting me.

The Brumack riding was cool but way too easy. I never even came close to dying. My favorite part of the game, though, was the last city segment on foot through the courtyard, the building (whatever it was)... Basically, the last part of the "standard" game (right before you get the Hammer) on your way toward the sinkhole. That's where Gears really shines IMO... Big, open spaces with loads of enemies and cover where you have to methodically pick off 3-4 enemies before moving forward a few feet.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I'd like to take this moment to point out that I think the multiplayer is actually inferior to the original. I love the new game modes (though more round-based options would be welcomed... every other game offers constant respawn, we don't need more of that) but the matchmaking system is absolutely atrocious.

Why does every developer feel that this matchmaking shit is a good idea? There's nothing wrong with a hosted server that might stay up for hours at a time instead of playing for 15 minutes and spending 5-10 trying to find another match.

I don't see how anyone could prefer one life per round. Anyone can die once for a multitude of reasons, doesn't mean they should have to spend several minutes watching other people play.

^ I don't know... monkeys like boring stuff maybe? ;)

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Around the Network

You know for a gaming website it often seems people on vgchartz don't play a lot of games O.o; dying 15times on the centaur bit? Struggling to get past wave 10 of horde? I barely have much time left for gaming at the moment but im still a gamer, I have the standard skills you need to do the easy things in gaming.

Sometimes im actually shocked when I see peoples gamercards from this website, they will only have a few games and often a very low completion ratio. Seems they spend too much time on the site instead of actually gaming.

I have to disagree with people about the story in GoW2 though. I think it actually does a really good job for it's genre. Im interested in what happens in the 3rd. The problem with gears is because it's a high action game they can't just give you a 5minute part where nothing is happening because a large % of the audience would get bored. I also think they do a pretty good job with the characters. It's funny people always say how rubbish the characters are yet the amount of people who love Cole or Baird or Dom is insane.

They actually do a good job of conveying the story as well, which in gaming is actually pretty rare. Yea Halo has a good story but damned if you could tell by playing the games oh a 2minute cutscene in 40minutes of gaming? erm okay whats happening. Or MGS where Kojima seems to not only fired all editors but actually hired people to insert un-needed fluff. Sure the story in gears isn't award winning but it's interesting and presented in the right way.

I often think the biggest problem to stories in gaming is the gamers themselves. People always praise games like Half life or MGS for having great stories when often the case is simply the games spend a huge amount of time telling you about the story, it doesn't mean it's a good story it just means they are spending a lot of time on it. Hl2 especially I don't think the story is anything special at all and is severly hindered by you being a flaoting camera who doesn't interact with the world.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

MontanaHatchet said:
I don't see how anyone could prefer one life per round. Anyone can die once for a multitude of reasons, doesn't mean they should have to spend several minutes watching other people play.

It teaches skill, intelligence, strategy, etc... There are many reasons to like round-based gaming. It isn't 100% "run around and hope for the best", it forces players to adopt an intelligent way to play instead of relying on pure aiming talent or cheap weapons.

Zim, I usually can't get very far in Horde because I'm paired up with awful teammates (due to my low rank).

Rocketpig: The problem is that if one person has a better strategy, you're pretty much screwed. Every match, one person grabs the Torque Bow, camps, and picks people off. Good idea, except now the people who died have to watch as their teammates get owned. You know what motivates me to use strategy? A shot at getting a good K/D ratio.

Matchmaking sucks nuts, especially when your playing by yourself. The worst part about it though is when you actually find enough people to play, and, before the round even starts, 4 people leave. Then it becomes 5 on 1. This happens regularly with me.

Horde, however, is fun, even if your playing with strangers.

MontanaHatchet said:
Zim, I usually can't get very far in Horde because I'm paired up with awful teammates (due to my low rank).

Rocketpig: The problem is that if one person has a better strategy, you're pretty much screwed. Every match, one person grabs the Torque Bow, camps, and picks people off. Good idea, except now the people who died have to watch as their teammates get owned. You know what motivates me to use strategy? A shot at getting a good K/D ratio.

See, I find there are far more torque bow campers in constant respawn. I almost never die via a "super-weapon" unless it's way late in the round and at that point, it's expected that players will have picked up better weapons.

Why? It's too big of a risk to go for it every time. Given different spawns, different placement, and a known enemy rush, you won't get there every time. And that means you'll often die on the way there, negating the benefits of rushing for it every round.

Annex, on the other hand, is full of score-padding campers who sit with a sniper or torque and maul spawn points or paths out of spawn points. Why? Because it's easy. There's no fear of "well, if I try this, there's at least a 50% chance I die and wait for three minutes" factor. That wait time makes players think more carefully about their actions instead of rushing the torque bow spawn five times because they know they'll get there if they keep trying long enough.

As for watching your teammates, a lot can be learned about the game via watching others play. I find that one of the more interesting aspects of round-based gameplay. You learn the hiding spots, you learn where to lay traps, you learn what areas you can move through undetected versus those you will easily be spotted and flanked. Instead of rushing all the time and dying over and over (whether you get kills or not is really irrelevant), you are forced to learn how to use terrain, weapons, and movement to your best possible advantage.

It's not all about the kills... Sometimes, a large amount of the fun for me comes from quickly adapting to a situation and figuring out how to take down one or two equipped enemies, even if it means I'm almost guaranteed death in the process. Take down a guy with a torque and die, it's probably a plus for your team. Take down two guys and die, it's always a plus for your team. In constant respawn, there's none of that. No one cares if they die. They simply reappear in 5-10 seconds anyway.