By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA has officially closed Need for Speed Studio Black-Box!!!

Black box, the studio responsible for the Need for Speed and Skate franchises has officially been given the chop. EA has said in a press release:

"Shutting down the studio is part of EA’s restructuring plan that hopes to save them US$ 120 million in annual costs. Part of the plan is to reduce their overall workforce by 10%, or 1,000 people."

The press release had also stated the Black Box is only 1 of 9 studios that will be getting consolidated or  shut down. it’s a damn shame isn’t it.

Well as long as they don’t decide to cut any of the guys from Bioware I think we will survive.

Let’s just hope that the upcoming Skate. 2 has been passed on to another game house or at least will get a chance to be finished. And who knows, EA might decide to keep the Need for Speed Franchise and just pass it on to another dev (maybe a better one). We’ll have to wait and see...

http://www.slicegaming.com/story-728-EA-has-officially-closed-Need-for-Speed-Studio-BlackBox.html

Around the Network

The last three Need For Speed games have been underwhelming. EA closed it Chicago studio after one bomb, Def Jam Icon, and they had been the guys behind the hit Fight Night franchise. Black Box haven't been able to recapture the magic of Most Wanted and I guess EA finally decided to pull the plug.

This might be a good thing for need for speed because I love the franchise but hated the games since carbon,prostreet and undercover came out

"

I Agree on it hasnt been the same Need for speed for quite some years actually this gen but still its on of there most succesful franchises and it still sells just look at Undercover.

Black Box sucks ass anyways.....NFS games have sucked since Hot Pursuit 2, and Skate is garbage.

PREDICTIONS:
360 will outsell PS3 YTD for 2008. (CHECK!)
360 will have the best showing at E3 & TGS in 2009
2009 will be another year for the 360 over PS3
End OF 2009 SALES :: 360 - 40M;  PS3 - 30M; Wii - 70M

Around the Network

Good Riddance.

Should have just made Most Wanted 2. With that crap ProStreet, and Carbon, and now this crap, they're finally done. All they have to do is close down Tiburon (Madden) and we'll be good to go, but that won't happen, it sold 4 million.

Who cares about NFS. Skate was f**king awesome though. Looking forward to Skate 2, hopefully it will still be released.

They should use some of the grunts to bulk up Criterion so they can make more games. I'm sure if Criterion got their hands on Need for Speed it would be the best entry ever in the series.

I wouldn't worry about Skate. EA is very proud of the series, so they'll probably just pass it along.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Awsome news. These last NFS's were very bad.

Only good can come of this i heard NFS undercover was going to get a patch hope this doesn't affect that

Play Me