By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kudos to the PSP

It could actually outsell the SNES by the end of next year. Sony just needs to get game support for the next one.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
It could actually outsell the SNES by the end of next year. Sony just needs to get game support for the next one.

Should do it before when you consider that the SNES shipped roughly 49 million consoles where as the PSP has shipped at least 45 million by now.

But even if we are talking about sold to consumer it should top 50 million before the end of next year. BTW when was the last PSP price cut?? They may be due for one next year with the PSP.

Branko2166 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Should do it before when you consider that the SNES shipped roughly 49 million consoles where as the PSP has shipped at least 45 million by now.

But even if we are talking about sold to consumer it should top 50 million before the end of next year. BTW when was the last PSP price cut?? They may be due for one next year with the PSP.

I think the last price cut was around the first of May in 2007 it went from $200 to $170, so a price cut could be possible anytime soon.

Gilgamesh said:

I think the last price cut was around the first of May in 2007 it went from $200 to $170, so a price cut could be possible anytime soon.

As long as sales are decent, expect the price to stay.  Sony needs profits more than they need to sell the PSP.

KUDOS!

hello how are you.

Around the Network

Yea after how amazingly successful the DS is, it's hard to notice just how well PSP competed for awhile. It's arguable that DS opened that up by expanding the market so much but still PSP held its own. It's a shame the devs got lost in the DS hype as well as the PSP is a very viable platform. But kudos to PSP to be the only one to even compete, even if only for a little while, with a Nintendo handheld.

A decent entry into the handheld market. I love the Wipeout games for it.

Probably won't go much higher with the PSP2 coming out probably.

But it's the best handheld out there that is not Nintendo made, and by a long shot. Nothing short of a success.

Well, kudos. But success is better measured in % of total games sold, which I believe ~20-25% for PSP. But it's potential far more than that, and hopes were far more than that. But kudos to DS, too, it did and still doing incredibly well, so Ninty wins in fait fight, not just because of brand loyalty. I suppose there'll be more competitors to Nintendo on handheld market in the future. More competition - better games.

The PSP and the DS are not only different technically, they also got quite different libraries, which - in my opinion - complement each other very well. That's why I bought both (and I've just started to build up my PSP library).

Great handheld, impressive hardware sales. Congratulations to Sony. Next milestone: 50 milliion.