By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Did Haze kill Free Radical?

BTW, it was reported the game cost around $25 million. I just can't remember the links to that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
BTW, it was reported the game cost around $25 million. I just can't remember the links to that.

If that's true, then Haze killed them.  If they sold 500k, many at reduced prices, that's not nearly enough.  After the price drops and Sony's cut, they make, say, an average of $25 a copy?  That's only $12.5 million.  

Ouch.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

I don't understand why they didn't release it on multiple platforms. How much money is paid for exclusivity? I would think they had a loss but not 12.5 million lost after the contract.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Hm... Hey Nintendo, you want a talented western game dev?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
Hm... Hey Nintendo, you want a talented western game dev?

Or S-E, Capcom, or Namco.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Nintendo can have any dev they want, but still they wnt buy any. They dont need to buy developpers who are posting disastrous reports and bringing massive losses.

I think Nintendo could use a talented western dev. They Retro is nice, but they only do 1 project every 2 years at the most. Nintendo has had a void there ever since rare left (and then went down the crapper)

However, I think they should form their own studio. That way they can structure the organization to their liking. And it seems nintendo know how to structure something profitable.

If Nintendo purchases any western devs, it should be the Conduit guys, they have the Wii HW down, and seem to want to work on Nintendo consoles.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

It's interesting how a revolution in the video game industry is happening at the same time that a huge crash is.

Or, I guess that's how most of them work.

Damn, this is the second revolution out of two in the industry that Nintendo has been at the helm of. That's a perfect attendance record!

Grahamhsu said:
I don't understand why they didn't release it on multiple platforms. How much money is paid for exclusivity? I would think they had a loss but not 12.5 million lost after the contract.

i think  they are more ps3 supporter than xbox 360, but somehow i believe, at first phase the 360 version is the lead (easier to pogram), but after a while they want to choose PS3 path, i think ubisoft is like going into multi, but Free radical are still choose PS3 path. actuaaly why this game delayed several times, i think because PS3 version at its core are harder.at the end, the hype is going down fast.

deathcape said:
Haze didn't KILL FRD, but it sure helped make it worse for them

I'm not sure...but what if they would have made TS4 instead of Haze..for the Wii hmmm....

Timesplitters is deffently something that has a Wii feel to it.  I think it would have done pretty well.