By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Did Haze kill Free Radical?

No, definitly not. One game cannot kill a company. BTW, haze had decent sales (500k).

Around the Network

I am truely sad, I didn't know that they had closed their doors.

It hurts me when I see pain in the industry.

Tease.

RIP FR may the timesplitters lay to waist...

Playing Assassin's Creed and Resident evil 5 <3

I dont want to be fanboy anymore...Why? it takes to much work but i will call on ppl on there B.S!!!:)

Riachu said:

Polishing a game doesn't require much resources.  Making the game does.  Polishing a game that was technically already finished doesn't really cost much to my knowledge.

Cost is extremely relative. $10 is nothing if you have $1,000,000. $10 is a whole lot if you only have $15. The continued cost of employing everyone combined with development of new games can quickly drain any cash reserves that exist after developing a game for so long. It is not so much that polishing itself costs so much money as it is the need to have a steady flow of any money to keep from going under.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:

Riachu said:

Polishing a game doesn't require much resources.  Making the game does.  Polishing a game that was technically already finished doesn't really cost much to my knowledge.

Cost is extremely relative. $10 is nothing if you have $1,000,000. $10 is a whole lot if you only have $15. The continued cost of employing everyone combined with development of new games can quickly drain any cash reserves that exist after developing a game for so long. It is not so much that polishing itself costs so much money as it is the need to have a steady flow of any money to keep from going under.

To further Gnizmo's point:

There's an adage among programmers that is applicable in many situations.  It goes:  The first 90% of the program takes the first 90% of the time.  The last 10% takes the second 90% of the time.  That extra layer of polish can be very expensive.  Once you've picked off all the low-hanging fruit in the initial development, every incremental improvement takes more and more time/effort for less and less return.  They could have easily doubled development time and released a game with all the same major problems, and slightly better graphics.  It would have gotten the same reviews, probably similar sales, only they would have spent approximately 2x as much on it.  There are severely diminished returns to applying polish to make a medium sellling game into a medium-large selling game.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Around the Network

Haze didn't KILL FRD, but it sure helped make it worse for them

I'm not sure...but what if they would have made TS4 instead of Haze..for the Wii hmmm....

They should have made Haze multiplatform instead of PS3rd exclusive. I will miss TS4.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
alpha_dk said:
Gnizmo said:

Riachu said:

To further Gnizmo's point:

There's an adage among programmers that is applicable in many situations.  It goes:  The first 90% of the program takes the first 90% of the time.  The last 10% takes the second 90% of the time.  That extra layer of polish can be very expensive.  Once you've picked off all the low-hanging fruit in the initial development, every incremental improvement takes more and more time/effort for less and less return.  They could have easily doubled development time and released a game with all the same major problems, and slightly better graphics.  It would have gotten the same reviews, probably similar sales, only they would have spent approximately 2x as much on it.  There are severely diminished returns to applying polish to make a medium sellling game into a medium-large selling game.

And that shows why GTA IV is the most expensive game ever, and why Twilight Princess is probably Nintendo's most expensive game ever (unless Mario Galaxy is).

BTW, Microsoft should buy FR, and make them work with Rare to finally bring the Goldeneye team back together, and make the third Perfect Dark game totally awesome (as long as they focus on the game more than trying to impress people.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

HD consoles killed Free Radical. It was just another company that wasn't expecting for Wii to be the dominant platform this gen...

A more better way of saying it is that Haze didn't save Free Radical.

Haze might have made some money for them but how much money is the problem, it just wasn't enough to maintain the company.