By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Did Haze kill Free Radical?

As you already know by now Free Radical no longer exists:

source

Independent UK studio Free Radical Design closed its doors this morning, GamesIndustry.biz understands, with multiple sources claiming that staff, including senior executives, have already left the company.

I am suspicious that the crappy Haze reception is what killed the company, since it was their main 2008 blockbuster title.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Around the Network

Its managed 500,000 worldwide i believe....any ideas on the budget?

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Doesn't seem all that unlikely. They went into price protection mode so quickly, I can't imagine they did anything but lose their shirts on it.

Everybody quick, by a copy of Haze!

Should've made Haze a Wii exclusive. Considering the lack of competition it would've been praise as the greatest FPS on Wii and sold millions!!!!

Or maybe not....

Around the Network

This is why huge development budgets are really bad.

Even a great team can make a bad game.

When you lose your shirt because of one bad game... it's a shame.

Haze can only be a few quid now, everyone should buy a copy and help free radical!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

That alone did not kill it.  They didnt have an amzingly strong record.  Weren't they in development on a title with lucas arts though?

Kasz216 said:
This is why huge development budgets are really bad.

Even a great team can make a bad game.

When you lose your shirt because of one bad game... it's a shame.

Free Radical should've just waited until Haze was polished before even setting a real release date to ensure quality.

I wonder what will happen to the Timesplitters IP, or more specifically who will buy it.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"