By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 1/5 of HDTV Owners Can't See the Difference.

highwaystar101 said:
Munkeh111 said:
@ highwaystar, on 30" you can still see a difference. If I go into a TV store and look at the HD TVs, they look far far far better than the one I have at home

You can see a difference, I can on my 19" Samsung (I can't afford a real TV). But you will not get a full HD experience, it's pointless. If anyone is serious about HD then they should be looking at a big screen and not a poxy small one, the increase in detail over that of SD system of the same size is pointless in a small system.

Oh yeah, but there is a clear SD/HD divide. And of course 1080p is only barely useful on 40"

Around the Network
nordlead said:
highwaystar101 said:
Munkeh111 said:
@ highwaystar, on 30" you can still see a difference. If I go into a TV store and look at the HD TVs, they look far far far better than the one I have at home

You can see a difference, I can on my 19" Samsung (I can't afford a real TV). But you will not get a full HD experience, it's pointless. If anyone is serious about HD then they should be looking at a big screen and not a poxy small one, the increase in detail over that of SD system of the same size is pointless in a small system.

It depends on how far away you sit. I have a 32" tv and sit about 6-7ft away, so essentially I can fully enjoy my TV's 720p capabilities. Now, if I bought a 32" 1080p tv, then I would agree that it was a waste of money.

Agreed 720p on a 32" TV is a sound investment, not punching above your weight kind of thing and a 1080p system would just be a watse of time and money on a 32" screen.

Off topic, I really want your beanbag lol.

highwaystar101 said:
nordlead said:

It depends on how far away you sit. I have a 32" tv and sit about 6-7ft away, so essentially I can fully enjoy my TV's 720p capabilities. Now, if I bought a 32" 1080p tv, then I would agree that it was a waste of money.

Agreed 720p on a 32" TV is a sound investment, not punching above your weight kind of thing and a 1080p system would just be a watse of time and money on a 32" screen.

Off topic, I really want your beanbag lol.

The thing is still feaking awesome. So comfortable to lay in and watch movies and play games.

They even now have a $179 dog bed

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

If you buy a shitty TV sometimes it is hard to tell the difference. Same thing if you bought a really small HDTV.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Well there's your main problem, most idiots don't even know if they have HD programming or not. Of course an HDTV isn't going to look better than your old TV if you got the same shitty cable (Hell it will probably look worse).

Samething with blu-ray, I gaurantee atleast half of those who claim they can't see the difference between DVD and blu-ray are idiots that went to an electronics store and THOUGHT they were looking at something on Blu-ray when it was really DVD.

The simple fact is HD and Blu-ray are better than SD and DVD. If you want to trick yourself into seeing a limited difference thats your own problem, just don't spread your bullshit to other people.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
Munkeh111 said:
Also, how can that TV only have 1200:1, the TV I have ordered has 50,000:1

Trust me, it was 1200:1. I did a double take, cause I thought it said 12000:1, but it really was 1200:1. I was shocked that the T.V. was 600 bucks. Then I remembered that the PSP 3k had a 2000:1 contrast ratio and I was like, how is 1200:1 even possible.

LOL!

Contrast ratio is why i bought a Sony CRT Wega Super Fine Pitch 5 yrs ago. That and the fact that contrast ratio, even today, is dismal compared with CRT sets.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

It also depends on what you're watching. If you're watching How I met your mother or reruns of Seinfeld the difference is less noticeable (especially since it is upscaled).

If they watch an sci-fi action movie the number would probably go up... however, this survey is talking about what they watch on the TV not whether or not they can tell the difference.

"18% think they are watching" and "18% can't tell the difference" are two very different sentences.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

so 80% of HDTV owners can see a difference even with crappy setups?
Something doen't seem right here...

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

No, 80% of HD owners watching SD signals know they are watching SD on crappy set ups. The headline and theme of the article are deceptive, the question was about what they think they are watching.

My question is: How many HD owners are watching SD signals? Tell me that then the 18% of that group is more useful to understand the situation.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:

No, 80% of HD owners watching SD signals know they are watching SD on crappy set ups. The headline and theme of the article are deceptive, the question was about what they think they are watching.

My question is: How many HD owners are watching SD signals? Tell me that then the 18% of that group is more useful to understand the situation.

Ah, thanks.

That makes sense now

Proud Sony Rear Admiral