By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - GTA IV downloadable content is a sure winner for MS

I will get both expansion packs. I can not wait.

Around the Network

I am buying both, just started playing GTAIV again! Its a great game.

Dodece said:
I have to agree that a lot of it is sour grapes. I expect the grapes to get more sour the closer this gets to release. For that price, and given the delay it is probably a rather significant package. I think its really going to be good value for money. Probably closer to twenty hours then ten hours, and no matter how you spin it that is good value. 

Yep - and it's gonna get worse. GTA4 has its problems sure, but it's heads above most games released this year.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Bitmap Frogs said:
Dodece said:
I have to agree that a lot of it is sour grapes. I expect the grapes to get more sour the closer this gets to release. For that price, and given the delay it is probably a rather significant package. I think its really going to be good value for money. Probably closer to twenty hours then ten hours, and no matter how you spin it that is good value. 

Yep - and it's gonna get worse. GTA4 has its problems sure, but it's heads above most games released this year.

agreed...

^I too second that motion.

Around the Network
Impulsivity said:

I think that 20 bucks is just way too high a price point. I mean if there are 2 expansions at 20 each thats more or less a full different game. I would find it hard to justify paying 20 bucks for an expansion of a game I still haven't quite finished after buying it day one.

IMO the highest price point for DLC that really justifies the purchase is 10 bucks, anything more then that I'd rather just get another different game. That is of course assuming that I owned the 360 version instead of the PS3 version, but I could probably sell the PS3 version and get the 360 version for a very similar price (GTA IV is like 20 bucks used a lot of places by now) so if I really cared about 20 dollar DLC it would be a wash.

Wake me when GTA V gets here or a proper GTA:SA style "expansion" comes out with a different city and truly new features.

If it sells more then two million copies I would be amazed, my guess would be 1 million until they drop the price to 10 bucks in which case something like 4 million is possible.

If, like people above are saying, MS gets 30% of the revenue from the DLC then it needs to sell almost 5 million to get their investment back (30 million on 100 million of revenue).

In a related question, has anyone been amazed or overjoyed at any paid DLC for any console game thus far? Outside the truly awesome (mainly due to their being free) Burnout content I can't think of anything impressive from any DLC this gen from any system.

This is wrong. MS paid Take-Two their share of the revenue upfront (with an option MS will get a refund if it doesn't sell well) this means that the $50Million is deducted from Take-twos share, not the share MS makes.

ie 70% -> already paid to Take-two; 30% MS revenue

Essentially all the money is going to MS until this thing pays for itself.

Predictions JAN 08

2008 PS3-19.5M(actual 19.5) XBOX360-23M(actual 27.5) Wii - 37M(actual 45.8M)

End of 2009 PS3-27 25M XBOX360-30 35M Wii - 48 63M (revised DEC 08)

Price Point
Mid 2008 Wii $250 Xbox360$249 Xbox360(HDD)$299 PS3 $399

Mid 2009 Wii $189 Xbox360$199 Xbox360(HDD)$249 PS3 $339

Mid 2010 Wii $ 149 Xbox360$159 Xbox360(HDD)$199 PS3 $289

Why would take two have to pay MS or share any of the revenue of the DLC with MS. Take Two is being PAID to make the content only available for MS. Otherwise they could release it on both platforms. MS receives the benefit of increased hardware sales and increased subscriptions. If Take Two had to pay the 50,000,000 dollars back it simply wouldn't have happened.....It wasn't a loan, they have no debt, and good cash flow. IMHO I believe that the biggest winner is Take Two b/c every unit of DLC sold is probably added directly to the bottom line.

Anyways......I will be buying both

Why would take two have to pay MS or share any of the revenue of the DLC with MS. Take Two is being PAID to make the content only available for MS. Otherwise they could release it on both platforms. MS receives the benefit of increased hardware sales and increased subscriptions. If Take Two had to pay the 50,000,000 dollars back it simply wouldn't have happened.....It wasn't a loan, they have no debt, and good cash flow. IMHO I believe that the biggest winner is Take Two b/c every unit of DLC sold is probably added directly to the bottom line.

Anyways......I will be buying both

I really don't care, but what proof do you have of this being a "prepayment" a "loan" or whatever you want to call it.

The way I see it, they just fronted them $50M to break the exclusivity contract with Sony and then get DLC. $50M =/= worth DLC so I'm thinking only some of that was for the actual DLC and the rest was to break a contract. That's a lot more logical than paying $25M for what they said would be like 10 hours of gameplay.

Quest for booty is about 7-9 hours long, and I'm sure it didn't cost Sony $25M in publishing fees for it to be made

$50,000,000 / ($30*.7) = 2.3Million units to break even...

Not really, they get 30% so it's .3 not .7, also, it'll be priced at 20 bucks, so:

$50,000,000 / ($20*.3) = 8.3Million units to break even, with an install base of 6.38 million, even with two installments, it'll NEVER break even

Listen to the voice of reason, then do as I say.