By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Sony's PS3 losing the console wars to the Xbox and Wii?

Now is not a good time for slowing PS3 sales.

Several of the big developers are looking at cut backs due to recent losses. With PS3 sales lower and development cycles longer and more expensive, it will probably take the biggest hit from game cancelations. This will only increase the perception that the PS3 is loosing, and will lower sales further.

A potential mid 2009 PS3 price cut and sales turn around might come too late, as publishers are probably waiting for the 2008 holiday numbers to decide what to cancel and what to keep.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Bullet100000 said:

This Gen has taught All three companies something Sony learned even loyal fan turn away at a $600 price tag. Microsoft learned to take time and produce reliable hardware, and for Nintendo finally deciding to go HD to capture more marketshare and not loose third party support.  I think next gen will be the real test for all three companies.

hmm that's news to me.  I don't recall a single game that Nintendo has lost from its gamecube library, they have only gained third parties.  Heck only thing that woudl have changed if HD, is that we woudl see some late HD ports with hacked on waggle. 

I'm glad that the Wii isn't HD, then we won't have that, but companies have to make a game ground up for Wii instead of just porting a waggle version.  And yes I know they did that for PS2 games for a while, but it dying down now to non existant besides games no one cares about.

Nintendo Gets later release dates for most third party games since developers have to spend more time on the game to make it work with motion controls and I can name tons of games that the wii does not have from third party developers.

1.Fallout 3

2.Far Cry

3.Cod 5 (later release date)

4.Prince of Persia

5.Resient Evil (lost gone Hd)

6.Tekken 6

List goes on on

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

Bullet100000 said:

This Gen has taught All three companies something Sony learned even loyal fan turn away at a $600 price tag. Microsoft learned to take time and produce reliable hardware, and for Nintendo finally deciding to go HD to capture more marketshare and not loose third party support.  I think next gen will be the real test for all three companies.

They did?????? Where's my HD Wii? D:

Bullet100000 said:
irstupid said:
Bullet100000 said:

hmm that's news to me.  I don't recall a single game that Nintendo has lost from its gamecube library, they have only gained third parties.  Heck only thing that woudl have changed if HD, is that we woudl see some late HD ports with hacked on waggle. 

I'm glad that the Wii isn't HD, then we won't have that, but companies have to make a game ground up for Wii instead of just porting a waggle version.  And yes I know they did that for PS2 games for a while, but it dying down now to non existant besides games no one cares about.

Nintendo Gets later release dates for most third party games since developers have to spend more time on the game to make it work with motion controls and I can name tons of games that the wii does not have from third party developers.

1.Fallout 3

2.Far Cry

3.Cod 5 (later release date)

4.Prince of Persia

5.Resient Evil (lost gone Hd)

6.Tekken 6

List goes on on

I didn't say the Wii has all third parties now did I.  I said they did not loose any from the gamecube era, and only gained.  The only one I can think of is the main series Resident Evil; Resident Evil 5.  But they still got the perfect 4 edition, and some rail game and what not of the series. 

But I ain't saying they have all those games above and tons of other 3rd party games, I am saying they didn't have them in the gamecube era either.

Like if you a PS2 gamer and want to play Dragonquest above 8, because you liked it on PS2.  Or Monster Hunter 3, cause you liked 2 on PS2.  In the next generation it woudl be a safe bet to buy a PS3, but look they are not on the PS3, but Wii.  Now a gamecube owner is gonna buy a Wii expecting games that were on the Gamecube, and are now surprised and happy with the new dragonquest, monster hunter ect.   Was I a gamecube owner and now a Wii owner expecting fallout 3?  Hell no, I hadn't even heard of 1 or 2.  And they were PS2 game's (i'm assuming) so wasn't expecting to get 3 anyway.

Fallout series has always been on PC. Fallout 3 is the first one to be on consoles. I guess there was also a spin off game on the Xbox/Ps2, but I think it was no good.

Around the Network
mibuokami said:
Bullet100000 said:

Nintendo has already anounced that their next console will be an HD console.

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

Bullet100000 said:
mibuokami said:
Bullet100000 said:

Nintendo has already anounced that their next console will be an HD console.

Ha, well what do you know, I was fully expecting them to bypass HD and go VR Helm. :)

No the Ps3 is losing tho the 360 and the Wii

They Could STOP losing if they do what you say

But as of now they are losing. Sorry.

its like 2007 all over again.

I think its an easy yes to the proposed question.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press