By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create Sales Numbers for 7/30 to 8/5

I think you really misunderstand me on the with the sex and violence... where I never intend to make those extreme part of the genre as cultural tendency.... I was just saying jap anim is to japan what comics and western cartoons are too USA.... and high end quality cartoon books are to Europe.... in other words you have more chance to find a copy to find a copy of Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro from Shigeru Mizuki in a japanese home... a copy of a DC or marvel comic book in a US or NA house... and a copy of a tintin from Hérgé in a French house....
sorry again for the misunderstanding... I never tried to imply that japanese are violence and sex freaks..... I just meant to say they probably have a wider culture than NA and European people.... when you see it cumulating all those little niche from Hentai to kodomo manga style with all the in between like shönen shönen-ai. seinen, redisu and many other (sorry for the spelling my japanese knowledge is totaly self-taught)

Around the Network
Faxanadu said:
endimion said:
SlorgNet said:
Also, don't forget there are big, big differences in living styles which make the Japanese market very different from the US. Small homes and high energy prices mean big, power-hungry consoles are less of an impulse buy; great mass transit and high population density means that portable games and media are everywhere (people watch cellphone TV, play games on the subway). Last but not least, Japan's high-tech society puts a premium on training and education of all kinds, so training games are sort of built into the culture, in much the same way strategy games are built into German culture (true story, they love their strat games) or sports games are built into US culture.

I just wonder how many of those PS3s and Wiis are actually being bought to be resold to the rest of East Asia, i.e. whether Korean and Chinese demand might be picking up now.

lol true... I use to live next to germany.... Blitz Kreig style lol :)....

I agree with you

hum oh and about the last paragraph I don't know but me I buy over Ebay games in NTSCus from taiwan based retailers.... lol it's that way I got a brand new copy of Forza 2 for 40 bucks+ the week of releases :)

so I guess some japs must do the same with the rest of the asian market.... if tawain is selling to USA lol

What the F*** are you talking about??? Yeah right, we Germans all sit down and plan the strategy for the next attack on France. Maybe this time we go via Switzerland and Italy to make a surprise attack? We love our Blitzkrieg big time and still all think lovingly about the good old days when we were allowed to kill everyone we disliked and could sing all three parts of our national anthem.

Get this guy banned.

lol I was making a joke with the blitzkrieg lol... never inplied any racist stuff like you try to pull out.... sorry if you've got offended... it wasn't my intention....sorry..... 

Top 10 games in Japan in 2007

PosConsoleNamePublisherYearTotal
1Wii SportsNintendo1,390,6961,967,710
2Monster Hunter Freedom 2ndCapcom1,291,7611,291,761
3Wii PlayNintendo1,011,3411,540,095
4Pokemon Diamond / PearlNintendo919,5845,393,276
5Yoshi Island DSNintendo908,578908,578
6New Super Mario BrosNintendo887,8144,848,169
7Dragon Quest Monsters: JokerEnix840,5111,467,533
8More Brain TrainingNintendo828,5114,665,897
9The Legend of Zelda: Phantom HourglassNintendo719,238719,238
10Prof. Layton and the Mysterious VillageLevel 5640,136640,136

Top 10 games in North America in 2007:

PosConsoleNamePublisherYearlyTotal
Pokemon Diamond / Pearl
Nintendo3,436,6203,436,620
Wii Sports
Nintendo2,825,1314,066,451
Wii Play
Nintendo1,807,8891,807,889
Guitar Hero II
Activision1,364,3302,901,702
Nintendogs
Nintendo1,119,5045,345,371
God of War II
Sony1,100,6701,100,670
Guitar Hero II
Activision1,059,7771,059,777
Mario Party 8
Nintendo915,848915,848
Crackdown
Microsoft815,188815,188
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Nintendo798,1071,834,582

There really isn't this mass divide between gamers in Japan and North America, for the most part we enjoy similar games ... The main difference (in my opinion) is games like "Crackdown" which are often not that good and sell on style alone (it's "Mature"); Japan has their own games that sell on style alone and their style of choice is very different from North American styles.

The only people who think their tastes are better than the other groups' tastes are those who are afraid to even try the other groups games of choice ...

mrstickball said:
To be fair though......

It's just wierd (atleast for a yank) to see training game # 5,000 sell for 1m copies on everything.

You can complain about our every-year iteneration of Madden and NCAA, but to be fair, they have Winning Eleven X and Powerful Pro Baseball - they come out once or twice a year and never have I heard anyone take issue with them.

My problem is that the good games don't sell well in Japan - Xbox 360 games, PS2 JRPGs (Odin Sphere, Persona 3), Western games, and such.

Whereas in the US, everything that is a good game, generally sells well. We don't like rehashed Tales of Games, and JRPGs don't sell as well - but generally, things just always do well in the US.

It's not like we're upset their tastes don't mimic US/European fare, but desiring repeat and repeat of $10 stupidit training games just gets old. Yes, shooters get over-sold, but atleast they have story and gameplay. No one would get upset if Japan was the land of the platformers and every game played like Mario, right?

Everything that is a good game generally sells well in the US? Tell that to games like Ico, Viewtiful Joe, and Ninja Gaiden that got buried in sales by the likes of 50 cent Bulletproof.

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

Wow ,very interesting the MC numbers for both hardware and software .

First in software it shows that MP has dropped something further than expected but is probably sold out by now ,so its a great success .Hot Shots Golf on the other side had also a big drop but with 64K the second week it shows it can have some legs ,it will at least be in the top ten for 1-2 more weeks .

In hardware the Wii has returned to its pre-Dragon Quest sword levels around the 60K mark ,massive numbers but far from the DS numbers some were hoping it would achieve .Its clear its leading the japanese market of home consoles ,but it remains to be seen that it can be a monster like the DS.Still ,its outselling the PS2 in the same time frame by a good amount .The Playstation 3 keeps its momentum selling nearly 25K units ,hopefully Hot Shots Golf will raise its sales permanently in some thousands of units .If Sony and the third parties can keep the games coming they should stabilize around the 25K-30K units weekly .If they drop the price to coincide with those games they could go up as much as to 40-45K weekly as in the PS2 good days.

Interesting that those two weeks have showed a big difference between Famitsu/Vgchartz and Media Create ,finally it doesnt matter because the numbers are nearly the same once added but its interesting because it marks different trends depending on what data sets you look at .