By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's development slump

There is also the possibility that the release schedule is incomplete. For example Capcom has two Wii games in Q1 Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop and Moto GP, both are absent from Nintendo's list.

Around the Network

Nintendo released too many titles in such a short period of time , usualy these would be spread over a generation but I guess Nintendo why trying to guarantee themselves some marketshare.

Nintendo should have delayed some titles to Q4 once they realised how well the Wii was selling , it hasn't made much difference though the Wii is still selinng like crazy. But there is an opportunity cost factor : how much more would they have been selling if Wi-Fit was released a couple of weeks ago ?

No wonder Nintendo wants to get people playing games like Animal Crossing, Wii Sports, and Brain Age. Games that you can play for a little bit every day never really get old; if you get sick of them, you can just come back to them in a few months and pick up where you left off. Sort of like Tetris, actually. Not much demand for a better version of the games already present in Wii Sports or for an even more engrossing Animal Crossing. They already do what they do admirably, and have no real finite nature as long as you're patient.

But as soon as you give a game some definite closure, you get this: people clamoring for sequels, complaining when you don't produce an ever-self-trumping series of games, and generally speculating that you've "lost your touch" when you don't live up to those unreasonably high standards which nobody has ever actually met. How is that fair? Well, it's obviously not, but I don't suppose many people consider that when they beg for, nay demand, a game to trump their fantastic rose-tinted visions of the "best Zelda ever" or "best Mario ever" or whatever it is they want to see get a "worthy" successor.

Short version: Nintendo's release schedule is fine. But we sure do have funny expectations of them, don't we?

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Nintendo does what Nintendo does. People are never happy. Maybe Nintendo can't fill up all of 2009 with games? And why should they?

Million said:
Nintendo released too many titles in such a short period of time , usualy these would be spread over a generation but I guess Nintendo why trying to guarantee themselves some marketshare.

Nintendo should have delayed some titles to Q4 once they realised how well the Wii was selling , it hasn't made much difference though the Wii is still selinng like crazy. But there is an opportunity cost factor : how much more would they have been selling if Wi-Fit was released a couple of weeks ago ?

They're already selling as many Wiis and Wii Fits as they can produce. I don't know how they could possibly be benefited by only releasing Wii Fit in November instead of having something like ten months of sales at this point.

Around the Network

Khuutra, maybe he meant that new games arent being released, at least not for the Wii.

I know Nintendo will release more games in 2009 but this quarter is very weak, I think its the first quarter without a new game since the Wii got released!

Khuutra said:
Million said:

They're already selling as many Wiis and Wii Fits as they can produce. I don't know how they could possibly be benefited by only releasing Wii Fit in November instead of having something like ten months of sales at this point.

I seriously dought that , the sales of Wii and Wii Fit is not entirely dependant upon demand if that was the case A. the Wii would be more expensive B. Ninty would have ramped up production of the Wii far more than they have done.

Million: Have you actually read Blue Ocean Strategy? If not, I suggest you do. Then you might understand why the Wii is priced the way it is and why they're not ramping production up super-fast.

I'm going to assume you haven't and sum up why: the Wii is priced low to ensure that the expanded market will actually look at it as a purchase option, and the production is not being ramped up super-fast because the threat of the Blue Ocean expanded market drying up is a perpetual threat.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

maybe its not a complete list

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Tuulikk said:
Nintendo does what Nintendo does. People are never happy. Maybe Nintendo can't fill up all of 2009 with games? And why should they?

Well no, they shouldn't, it just seems like their releases have slacked off. Animal Crossing was pretty much their only blockbuster in the span of many quarters, and it looks like another quarter sliding by with not only a scant amount of games, but no real top-tier projects among that small number of games.

The bolded part of what you said is often what i say too, but sometimes i feel compelled to try to pierce the mystery of why Nintendo does what Nintendo does. Why so few blockbusters? I mean, we know their developers aren't sitting around on their asses doing nothing, but why couldn't they space their blockbusters out better?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.