By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Konami confirms: Metal Gear Solid Touch - New pics and info.

^ I guess so. It's just something I can't understand because so many people are hoping for new players in the console market, but when there is a new entrant, namely Apple, it receives sometimes outright hatred.

Then again, iPhone/iTouch can in some ways be related to the Wii: they represent a new user interface paradigm, one of direct manipulation via multitouch and gestures. I understand there are serious doubts about the usefulness of this UI paradigm for gaming purposes, and there are only a handful of examples of games that are actually succesfully implementing the UI paradigm instead of trying to work around it. Again, it's the same as with Wii: simple ports with added waggle don't work, games have to be designed from ground up for the platform, and even then the results often leave a lot to be desired. I'm working on a few game ideas for iPhone/iTouch, and it's quite clear that you simply can't think in traditional norms. Buttons only work in slow paced games, a finger is dozens of pixels wide so forget about pixel perfect clicking, touching the screen blocks what's under it from view etc.

Of the games I've tried, I can name a couple of good examples. Aurora Feint: The Beginning uses the possibilities of accelerometer and multitouch well. Galcon uses touch and drag well. GTS World Racing and Raging Thunder use the accelerometer quite well for car steering. Tap Tap Revenge uses multitouch well. Those at least are games that other devs should look into and copy the good ideas, I don't want to see another Kroll.

Does anybody have other examples of good UI in games? I'd be really interested to see how things can be done.

Around the Network

YEs I actually tried a touch today and realized it was basically a Wii/DS/PSP in one, for the amazing price of a PSP.

I was playing some shooter but I couldn't get into having to hold the whole machine a certain way to look around. The concept was cool but the software didn't do it in an intuitive way but not exactly counter intuitive.

I was intending on picking one up for traveling music purposes but I'm not in any rush. I realized though that I didn't need a plan to purchase it which makes things so much better. It's not easy going through live in a way that you only pay for things once and that's it.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D