By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - OK, NMH and Manhunt 2 was censored on Europe and Madworld wasnt? WHAT?!!

Im surprised that theres a European uncensored version of Madworld in Europe on GT. And I've seen the japanese and european version of NMH and the violence in Madworld was 10 times than NMH and yet ESRB still censored it. Why is this? Care anyone explain?

edied

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

Well, one explaination is that the developers themselves censored their games due to concerns that they would otherwise be banned by politicians bending to tabloid will. I guess Sega is a bit more ballsy in this respect.

Addendum: ESRB doesn't rate content in EU. That would be PEGI.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

What PEGI is for? (acronym)

AND politicians are the ones censoring/banning games? Not the rating boards themselves? Now it confuses me. :/ Sorry, Im not in the plcae were banning/censoring video games takes place...

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

PEGI website

PEGI's content ratings hold no legal clout, and are simply a guideline (though in UK and Ireland, certain games get rated by the Board of Film Classification, and these rating are legally binding).

Some games in Europe have either been heavily censored, or outright banned from sale due to the pressure on politicians from peer groups driven by tabloid controversy. While the politicians themselves don't have the power to enact these bans, they can petition for it on the peer group's behalf, and usually succeed.

(EDIT: I really should have mentioned all this in my earlier post...)

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

OH OK, its like this, PEGI have no power to censor or ban any video games, only classifying it according to age. Though sometimes some politicians wants to ban or censor a videogame because of peer group pressure or some right wing groups even its not in accordance with law? LOL WUT? Politics in video games, SERIOUS BUSINESS...

So in reality, according to law theres no one that can ban or censor any video game? Only classified it? Though some video game companies must censor or limit the content of thier video game to the public. The more I think censoring or banning Manhunt 2 and NMH was unjust. I've seen the uncensored version nothing wrong with it. :/

E3 2010- Tape runs out

Around the Network

I think Madworld wont be censored because of it's artstyle, it's just too unique to censor blood. I did not mind the coins instead of blood in PAL verison of NMH it kinda suited the coolnes of this game, but i hate censorship overall, this next to political correctness is the biggest crime in Western Society.

Well actually NMH was published in its censored version in Europe by itself, PEGI never rejected the original version. The publisher decided to publish a censored version because some PAL countries (namely Germany and Australia) ban many games. So this way NMH has been released in every PAL country without a problem.

Now about Madworld, Sega chose to publish the game uncensored in PAL territories. Thus, the game will probably not be released in Germany and Australia, but Sega doesn't care since they can count on other PAL countries and the rest of the world to make a profit on the game.

Yea Madworld has already been banned in Germany and I doubt Sega is going to release a censored version. Probably the same for Australia. I think with No More Heroes and Manhunt 2 you could make a censored version but Madworld is all about the blood and gore in a stylized fashion. I mean that's the main calling of the game and censoring it out just wouldn't be the same.

Didn't Manhunt 2 get originally censored because of the /pen death and the fact that pens are easily accessible? Not that sure @_@

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

As far as I know: NMH was censored, because Rising Star Games feared the UK reaction as they've shown with Manhunt 2. They don't wanted it to be banned or similar (Unfortunatelly there was this comment from Suda himself I believe that NMH is harder then manhunt2) so they released the japanese censored Version all around Europe = No worries about anything. They just didn't try to realease it uncut at all (imo that wasn't a good idea for the sales in others). For Madworld (and also HotD-O) they eliminated a big Factor. Those Games won't be released in Germany. So Zucas it's not banned here, they stated already in the beginning it won't be released here. That's good because there's a high chance we can import the uncut Version now fom UK, Austria, etc.

@the people telling about artstyle: Don't forget that Videogames and Movies are not considered as art. They are censored all around and they will allways be :( As long as the UK (bbfc it was called or something like that) won't absolutely ban it, the Games and movies will most often be uncensored availlable in Europe (except Germany). Like Manhunt 2 now finally availlable in Europe and I believe the same Version as the us but not sure.

“And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five? A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head.” -Terry Pratchett

www.lost-acres.de