By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Australian November Sales Numbers

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,28348,24812784-5014239,00.html

Video game bonanza tipped following Kevin Rudd's handout

Herald Sun

December 17, 2008 08:03am

PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd's $10.4 billion economic stimulus package for families has helped fuel a pre-Christmas video game bonanza.

The latest official sales figures covering the five weeks to December 6 show the games market is up 39 per cent on the same period last year.

Australians bought more than 130,000 Nintendo Wii, 45,700 Xbox 360 and 26,000 PS3 games machines.

Anecdotal evidence from retailers revealed the sale of new game consoles doubled in some cases the day after consumers received the Federal Government's $1000 bonus in their bank accounts.

Microsoft marketing manager Jeremy Hinton said pre-Christmas Xbox 360 sales had been given a significant boost by the government handout.

He said that on the day the federal financial fillip kicked in last Wednesday - usually a quiet day for games outlets - some shop owners made frantic calls requesting more stock after being rushed by cashed-up shoppers.

Microsoft recently lowered the Xbox 360's price to between $299 and $549 to compete with the Wii, while Sony introduced a new 80GB PS3 model in time for the Christmas season.

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Around the Network

Wow

it had that big an impact.

Wii Friendcode - 6327 2612 7683 5724

feel free to add me whenever (just PM me to let me know)

MS never had a problem in Australia. Even the xbox 1 was successful there .

Yeah but Nintendo has the market wrapped up here. Just like just about everywhere else.

I wish everyone were eligible for the $1000 handout...why should the people without kids and not on a pension be discriminated against? Even if it means lowering the handout per person, I'd be happy with $100.

He should have spent the money on the promised high speed broadband infrastructure that he talked about in his election campaign.

Around the Network

So instead of saving, the Aussies blew their entire check on video games? I salute them.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

It was meant to encourage spending to kick-start the sluggish economy...that the banks all the way in America are responsible for.

dolemit3 said:
So instead of saving, the Aussies blew their entire check on video games? I salute them.

The money was given to SPEND.  Not save. 

Infamy79 said:

The latest official sales figures covering the five weeks to December 6 show the games market is up 39 per cent on the same period last year.

Australians bought more than 130,000 Nintendo Wii, 45,700 Xbox 360 and 26,000 PS3 games machines.

Can someone dig up the VGC numbers for the Australia region and compare?

Slimebeast said:
Infamy79 said:

Can someone dig up the VGC numbers for the Australia region and compare?

Wii 179611

360 57954

PS3 37873