By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
One_touch_KO said:
Esa-Petteri said:
Metacritic/gamerankings score, that has been the case always.

So how come a game like Counter strike that got low ratings is being considered by many gamers an AAA title?

Somebody already answered you, it is not a game. Just a mod. But it has been reviewed with a 88 score on metacritic. I don't think that score is "low".

Around the Network

90%+ metacritic/gamerankings score.

4 ≈ One

AAA is what fanboys use to brag about game when they can't use the sales to brag about that game. It's a buzzword, it doesn't mean anything. You say that when you don't have anything to say to obscure the argument.

Also, if we go by the metacritics definition, we have that:

AAA: 90+

AA: 80-90

A : 70-90

B: 60-70

C: 50-60

D: 40-50

E: 30-40

F: 0-30

and that is just ridiculous.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaa

Godot said:

AAA is what fanboys use to brag about game when they can't use the sales to brag about that game. It's a buzzword, it doesn't mean anything. You say that when you don't have anything to say to obscure the argument.

AA: 80-90

A : 70-90

B: 60-70

C: 50-60

D: 40-50

E: 30-40

F: 0-30

what do we care about metacritic definition? We have to find a definition that suits the overall opinion.

I just can't put into my mind you can a game like beyond good and evil be considered and AAA.

Around the Network

Given the response I got when I tried to define hardcore versus casual based on what is consensus then AAA is also bunk.

If we were to go on game sales million sellers could be considered AAA.

Most other ways to rule AAA would be subjective, and even considering that I myself don't like most million seller or high rating games. AAA is meaningless.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

My guess is that the term AAA was borrowed from credit ratings. In the corporate world, a AAA rating is the highest credit rating possible. It means that it is almost 100% likely that your business will pay back all the loans it has. That credit rating also means it is safe to loan a lot of money to the business, and on favorable terms.

I think this term originally meant that a AAA game was a game that was gauranteed to make a big profit. Of course, that means that this term was applied to the biggest and best games and franchises. Over time, it has been warped to mean a game that has high critical acclaim, or a big budget depending on who you ask. The term has lost its connection to the business of games for some reason.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

AA: 80-89.9

A : 70-79.9

B: 60-69.9

C: 50-59.9

D: 40-49.9

E: 30-39.9

F: 0-29.9

There are so many games that are in the 85 to 90% range that deserve AAA ranking status here are a few examples - Fable 2, Dead Space, Fifa 2009, UnCharted and Ratchet and Clank all deserve 90% and above instead of their 88's and 89's respectively.
I class any video game AAA status if it scores 85% average scores and above.

I didn't know until recently that AAA was anything more than another buzzword. I'm surprised it has any tangible meaning

But i still define it as such, a buzzword to generally indicate a big-budget blockbuster, regardless of critical opinion

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.