By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Your favourite movies/films of 2008

quantum of solace was the best film of the year and all time

is a man not entitled to the sweat of his own brow ?

Around the Network

I would have to say The Dark Knight top every film I have seen this year.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Wall-E and the Dark Knight!

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

stovo said:
akuma587 said:
Man, either you guys are really fun or you have awful taste in movies :)

Hmmm, best 2008 movie I've seen.

The Orphanage (came out in January)

Ones that I think might top it:

Milk
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Other strong contenders:

Traitor
Dark Knight
Iron Man
Synechdoche, New York
Wall-E

Lol I think you got the strong contenders and the other ones wrong way round

Have you seen all the movies on that list or even heard of The Orphanage?

Oh yeah, I forgot about Burn After Reading.  Its definitely number #2 after The Orphanage.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
stovo said:
akuma587 said:
Man, either you guys are really fun or you have awful taste in movies :)

Hmmm, best 2008 movie I've seen.

The Orphanage (came out in January)

Ones that I think might top it:

Milk
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Other strong contenders:

Traitor
Dark Knight
Iron Man
Synechdoche, New York
Wall-E

Lol I think you got the strong contenders and the other ones wrong way round

Oh yeah, I forgot about Burn After Reading.  Its definitely number #2 after The Orphanage.

Taht's probably a pretty good list, Akuma.  I haven't seen Burn After Reading, Benjamin Button, Milk or Synechdoche....but they're all on my list.

Now I'll add The orphanage and Traitor.

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
akuma587 said:

Taht's probably a pretty good list, Akuma.  I haven't seen Burn After Reading, Benjamin Button, Milk or Synechdoche....but they're all on my list.

Now I'll add The orphanage and Traitor.

Checkout Slumdog Millionaire too.  I haven't got a chance to see it, but I've heard really good things.

Synechdoche is good, but it kind of gets a bit self-indulgent towards the end.  I would have cut out at least twenty minutes from the movie if I was the director.  It started dragging by the end.  The first hour and most of the rest of the movie was top-notch though.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I always use December as my catch up month to watch all the movies I missed all year. Here's what I've watched in the last week:

Gran Torino-4/5
(Good but very typical gruff performance by Eastwood. Lots of unnecessary scenes that don't build on the story.)

Frost/Nixon-5/5
(Best movie of the year thus far. Langhella is winning an Oscar for this unless Rourke is really that good in The Wrestler.)

Four Christmases-2/5
(It has it's moments, but the story is overall very rushed by packing in a lot of character change in a mere couple of hours. Vince Vaughn has been funnier also.)

The Other Boleyn Girl-3/5
(Surprisingly average acting out of Johannson, but Portman does a killer job as Ann Boleyn. The whole script seems to run around her role entirely, ignoring the rest of the cast.)

Role Models-4/5
(Absolutely hilarious. It's about time Paul Rudd got the starring role because he knocks it out of the park. Sean William Scott and the two starring kids do great jobs also. Best ensemble cast I've seen in a movie this year.)

Milk-4/5
(I'm not a big fan of Gus Van Sant's trilogy of deranged teenager movies so this was definitely the best work I've seen from him since Good Will Hunting. Sean Penn really gets you lost in this role. James Franco and Emile Hirsch both deliver strongly too. Josh Brolin's expected best supporting actor nom for this flick is completerly overrated and undeserving.)

I have copies of Snow Angels, Changeling and Quantum of Solace sitting on my desk for watch next.

My top five I need to see for the rest of 2008 are:

1. The Wrestler
2. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
3. Revolutionary Road
4. Doubt
5. Slumdog Millionaire

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I really want to see Frost/Nixon. It definitely looks to be one of the year's best.

The X-Files: I Want To Believe (one of only 3 films i saw this year, the others being Dark Knight and How to lose Friends and Alienate People)

akuma587 said:
I really want to see Frost/Nixon. It definitely looks to be one of the year's best.

Oh it is. The sessions between Martin Sheen and Frank Langhella are some of the best back and forth dialogue I've ever seen in a movie. It will be very hard for another movie to top this one at the end of the year. The only movie I think has a chance is The Wrestler.

Ron Howard's directing has finally become worthy of the praise and awards he's continuously been given all these years.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.