By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 3 Now a "Movie Downloading Machine"

Wow.. just when I was getting use to it being a ........ ok I'll be honest.. I have no idea what to call it...

PlayStation 3 Now A "Movie Downloading Machine"

Sony's moving on from marketing just its PlayStation 3 games library, kicking off a campaign to promote the console's movie download service. That's right, the PS3 is "not just for games anymore," according to Sony.

The attempt kicks off tonight during Monday Night Football, with a new commercial that aims to overcome the PlayStation 3's biggest obstacle to console dominance: girlfriends. What do you think? Is this merely an attempt to stave off the appeal of Netflix on the Xbox 360's New Xbox Experience or Sony simply getting around to letting people know about the VOD service it launched this year?

Either way, we'd think that the company still has some work to do on the game promotion side, something it works in perhaps too subtly in this spot.

PS3: Not Just For Games Anymore [PlayStation.blog]

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

Nice, I could care less about Netflix. I used it two times and it doesn't look like I will be using it again. Not being about to view Sony Picture movies is a bummer.

We shall see how this goes over when the next round of NPD results roll in.

File this under the "yet another dumb marketing idea by Sony".

How is it dumb?

their marketing a useful feature that most people may not know about..

Predictions.

1. Wii will never reach 50% market share.

2. Kz2 will sell 1.3 first week 3.5 LT.
Sales predictions for 09.

Wii - 69 - 72
PS3 - 32 - 34
X360 - 39 - 41

Around the Network

its always been marketed as a movie player...so i dont think marketing it as "also another form of movie player" is going to help much.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

"...with a new commercial that aims to overcome the PlayStation 3's biggest obstacle to console dominance: girlfriends."

I thought price was the biggest obstacle...or were they attempting humor?

Blockbuster also advertised itself as a movie rental place and they now they have advertisements showing that you can download their movies online to.. its just showing a sometimes easier way to watch movies is possible..

what's next people complaining about home being advertised?

Predictions.

1. Wii will never reach 50% market share.

2. Kz2 will sell 1.3 first week 3.5 LT.
Sales predictions for 09.

Wii - 69 - 72
PS3 - 32 - 34
X360 - 39 - 41

xlost7 said:
Nice, I could care less about Netflix. I used it two times and it doesn't look like I will be using it again. Not being about to view Sony Picture movies is a bummer.

You can view Sony Picture movies on your 360 now.  There was an issue when the NXE launched with Columbia Pictures (subsidiary of Sony Pictures), but apparently that was just an expired licensing agreement which has been resolved now.

So let me get this straight, they won't advertise the blu-ray features of the PS3, but they spend lots of money of promoting the download movie features of PS3?