By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Need help with school career project...

I am in Grade 11, Alberta(grades in percents), Canada. I'm doing a project on potential careers we have interest in. I have thought of some that interest me, and took some(multiple) quizes to also gain some idea. The results include careers like Biochemistry, Biomedical engineering and Psychiatry. I need some help to decide what the best choice would be for me.

I need to know requirements to get into such programs. And for example, how you should be doing in high school. That is some info that I'm finding difficult to find. Along with the recommended path of education. Interest assessments for me usually suggest the sciences or medical.

Also, what would be the costs of medical school compared with normal university education?

Is the level of difficulty to high or something? I'm not really going to go for private practice or going to teach at a university.

Any pointers I should know, tips or problems?

Thanks for the help.

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

Around the Network

Comeon, someone should be able to help.

Hmm. I'm not too familiar with the system in Canada, but if you're willing to study in the U.S. , I can give you some general advice. For starters, to get into a medical school, your high school grades won't matter too much.

What IS important is your grades in your undergraduate college, and which college you graduated from. Of course, getting into the better colleges requires good grades in high school...

Medical school is quite expensive, and to make things worse you have to pay for that bachelor's first. Don't worry though: it's an investment, one that'll pay off handsomely over time.

The stress level, from everything I've heard, is pretty intense, as there's a lot to cover and a lot of pressure to digest a ton of minute information. This is true of all the major professions, which is why substance abuse is prevalent amongst them all. Even worse, doctors have to go through their residency period, which is several years of working long hours, sometimes for days (yes, days) straight.

But don't let that scare you. Like everything else in life, you'll adjust as you go along. I don't know of any doctor or med school student who was happy with the process, but all of them got into the groove after a bit. And again, it's a long-term investment. Just make sure this is something that YOU are interested in, not something that a test has TOLD you you're interested in.

I do know a psychologist (not for that reason, though...), and I can ask him for some ideas and pointers for you, if you like.

As for your final point about being a medical school teacher rather than a practitionner, that's not how it works. (at least not in Quebec). As far as I know, just about all medical professors are practionners, near the top of their field, who give time teaching because they like to teach and/or they want the university to fund their clinical research. Don't expect your teachers to be only professors who only write papers from their offices. Unlike most other faculties, they are in the field.

Thanks for the help.
This is a pretty challenging decision...

Around the Network

If you are good in science and are up to the challenge, I see no better way of helping your fellow citizens. Good luck with your project and your decision. :)

You mistook me, if that is the route I go, it will be a practicioner.
I meant a gov't/hospital employed more likely than running my own private practice.

Medical is the one receiving the most attention... Oh well

Oh, if you want your project to throw your teacher a curveball, you can tell them that you're considering going to Med School with a bachelor's in English. Most people have a degree in the hard sciences, but that's not required, and an English degree can be helpful because you'll already be used to reading and digesting massive amounts of literature.

Makes you look well-informed, and like you can think "outside the box."

Again, I can only speak as far as I know, but if his chosen med school requires an interview as part of the admissions phase, it will be much harder convincing the interviewers that he is fully prepared for a scientific intensive program such as medicine if his degree is academic rather than hard science. In real life (ie when not thinking outside the box for his project), it would not be worth the risk considering most of his competition will have that hard scientific knowledge under their belt.

Regarding your wall post: What we save in tuition, we more than pay back in higher taxes. ;) ( or should that be a frowny face)

English is my second language, I don't want more English than I need.

I'm thinking maybe for the project, atleast, to lean towards something more manageable.