By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft knew Xbox 360 could damage discs all along?

So the person suing on behalf of everyone still stands to receive 60-75% of the verdict or settlement? Or that goes where?

Around the Network

In a class action lawsuit, if you can prove that you are part of the affected class, you get a cut of the verdict or settlement.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Fumanchu said:
So the person suing on behalf of everyone still stands to receive 60-75% of the verdict or settlement? Or that goes where?

Let's say the verdict is that the company has to pay 10$ for each of the estimated affected person and there are 1 million affected persons, therefore the verdict is of 10 000 000$. The firm takes their 3 000 000$ share and the rest is put in the firms trust account. The people who were part of the suit or who have signed on to the suit get their 7$ each and whatever money that is left over is held in the trust until the people who think the ruling applies to them and prove it make a claim to the firm. That's more or less how it would work up here. Maybe a lawyer in your jurisdiction would say otherwise. (I'm off to bed though, so I won't be able to respond until tomorrow)

Am I having Deja Vu? I thought this was known sometime ago...

Ok, thanks - unrelated law questions; I wonder what sort of rigorous investigating would be involved to ascertain that it was mechanical error and not intentional misconduct/abuse to claim part of the settlement? If the verdict or settlement is high enough and everyone stands to make money by intentionally scratching all their games and dvds by shaking their 360's around mercilessly, what would stop them?

Around the Network

Hmm but is it caused only by moving x360 when playing disc ?
I know one of my friends got his Mass Effect scratched to the point of being unreadable mess and he is an IT proffesional so chances of him moving it while playing are minimal.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

^^^My game was playing for about an hour. I went from one area to the next, and the thing started sounding like a vacuum cleaner. Apparently the lense was moving, but something was out of alignment inside of the console. No moving console for me.