By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 - 120GB HDD for just $40!!

This isn't a special deal, so I'm sorry if I got some of your hopes up. 

However, seeing as how I am giving a step-by-step of how I did this, perhaps you can use this as a tutorial for saving yourself lots of money!

Here is what I did:

1. Found a great deal on the hard drive with data transfer kit for $120 online.
  2. Copied over my data once I got it.
  3. Sold my old 20GB hdd
  4. Sold the data transfer kit

So, after selling both of those on eBay, I managed to net $80.  Subtract that from my $120 cost to upgrade and it came down to being just $40!  I have installed Fable 2, Gears of War 2, and the first 2 discs of Lost Odyssey and I still have a good 80GB left!  If you decide to go this route, you may not be able to get quite $80 for the both, but I would say $50-60 is probably very common and a good investment as that would mean a 120GB hard drive for just $60-70.

Around the Network

Can you play through Lost Odyssay with only the first disc in your dive and the rest on HD without switching disks ???

Nope. I asked that question myself. You still have to swap discs, so really if you want, you only need the disc you are currently playing installed. I just chose to install the first two, so that I don't have to take a long break in play, and once I hit the second disc, during an off time I'll install the third disc and remove the first. So when I actually hit a "swap to disc #" part, I just have to swap the disc and not wait for the install at that point.

liar...

You really did get my hopes up.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Meh, alot of extra transactions to save a bit over an elite.  I wish the 360 had a HDD setup similar to the ps3.  I could use a 500gb HD on my 360.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
liar...

Hahaha, I knew I would.  If you want, though, just do what I did.  I mean, it's 3 simple things.

@Bboid
Yes I wish it was that way too, although for my laptop I haven't even used 60 out of the 120GB on it, and if it weren't for game installs, I doubt I would ever use a 60GB 360 or 80GB PS3 drive, so this upgrade just gives me more space for trailers, demos, and installs basically.  500GB would be way too much space for my needs and at $110, not the cheapest upgrade.

nightsurge said:
Euphoria14 said:
liar...

Hahaha, I knew I would.  If you want, though, just do what I did.  I mean, it's 3 simple things.

@Bboid
Yes I wish it was that way too, although for my laptop I haven't even used 60 out of the 120GB on it, and if it weren't for game installs, I doubt I would ever use a 60GB 360 or 80GB PS3 drive, so this upgrade just gives me more space for trailers, demos, and installs basically.  500GB would be way too much space for my needs and at $110, not the cheapest upgrade.

My problem is I don't delete hardly anything and my PS3 is actually set up in my home bar as a multi media device and has a TON of music on it. I upgraded the drive to 500 and It is 63% full right now.  My 360 I use in my house right now is an elite and is in the living room and with games installable on the HDD now i can see it possibly being full by end next year.  So it will lead to me eventually buying games for the ps3 is MSFT doesnt make a larger HDD anytime soon.  But because of storage limitations I have used my ps3 more now.  I remember when I never thought I would fill my launch 60gb ps3 or 20gb 360 pro.  Silly me.

Who would buy a 20GB hard drive and transfer kit for $80? You could get a 60GB Starter Kit at retail for $90.

@JaggedSac
They were sold separately for about $40 each, but still a rip off if they would have known. I guess microsoft hasn't marketed the deals enough.

@Bboid
I use my 360 as a media center as well, but I stream any movies or music from my PC and from my iPod so the space isn't used much for media.

You know if you open up the HDD, use a certain type of 2.5 laptop HDD(formatted with certain software) you can make your own 160(yes 160) gig XBOX compatible Hard drive.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling