By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - A thread about Sheep, Boys, Men, the PS3 and whether or not you have balls.

When Sony yelled out Riiiidddge Racer, Massive Damage, $599 and Real Time Weapon Change, I knew they would be defeated

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

Cool thread.

Squilliam said:

Seperate the men from the sheep/boys.

I see a lot of people acting like they "knew this situation would happen all along". But who here really had the foresight to predict the current situation and the balls to state it publicly? This isn't about me, its about the people who are going along with the crowd and just repeating the general mindset of the forums.

Im not talking about predictions made in 2007 when Xbox 360 fever was still rife in the forum, try middle of 2008 when it was the same story every week. (PS3 > Xbox 360). So are the people really thinking for themselves when they post "knowingly" in the PS3 doomed threads? Its the same situation where people were calling the Xbox 360 doomed not too long ago. Heres the logic I think is being applied by 90% of the people on those PS3 doomed threads:

Reach conclusion first, support with reasoning and justify with 'evidence'.

You're completely right, Squilliam. There's a powerful groupthink in communities like this. I'm sure you've also noticed how 90% of the people on these forums just predict what they WANT to see happen, rather than make actual observations about the market. It seems hard for most of us to separate emotion from logic when it comes to gaming.

Personally, I'm down on the PS3 because 2008 holiday sales are lower than 2007 holiday sales in all three regions. That should not be happening for a healthy platform. Sales should always be up going into holiday #3 over holiday #2. (It's actually holiday #2 in Europe, and sales are still lower than holiday #1!) These are very, very bad signs in terms of trending for the future.

I don't care what the rest of the forum-goers think. Unless I see a dramatic turnaround in the next few weeks, I'll be perfectly prepared to go out on a limb and predict a poor 2009 for the PS3, then eat crow if it has a miraculous revival. I only do one prediction per year, and I put a lot of time and effort into it. 

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Squilliam said:
The Bible doesn't count. It was bundled!

Best. Post. Ever!

This is sig worthy x10 lol.

Its rather odd that my favourite console for each gen has thus far always been the worst selling, this is without a doubt my favourite Sony console of all the one's I've purchase.

MasterSystem, Megadrive (Genesis), Saturn and Dreamcast. Long live the underdog!

I don't do direct predictions.

But I always thought that taking out B/C was bad for Sony.
I also thought that LBP would not be the game-changer that many predicted it would be.

It takes a lot to separate the sheep from the wolves herein.

Honestly, I am not sure there is a lot that Sony could do. I do not think a $50 price cut would turn people's heads ... because it would come too late (or after) the holiday season. Had it been done months ago, maybe. But now, keeping the price high to keep the cash-flow may be a wiser choice.

Sony is probably going to keep its position -- No. 2 in Japan, No. 2/3 in Europe, No. 3 in North America -- throughout this generation. It could still sell 30M-40M units and be third, which isn't too shabby. It just has to be careful not to lose too much money or too much groud.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
mibuokami said:
Squilliam said:

Best. Post. Ever!

Its rather odd that my favourite console for each gen has thus far always been the worst selling, this is without a doubt my favourite Sony console of all the one's I've purchase.

MasterSystem, Megadrive (Genesis), Saturn and Dreamcast. Long live the underdog!

Stay away from any console I pick please: you're obviously bad luck!

mibuokami said:
Squilliam said:

Best. Post. Ever!

Perhaps your gaming tastes are at odds with the majority

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Mummelmann said:

Hmm, I suppose Tupperware must be the best products ever made then, not just accessible, cheap and easy to use?
Following the same logic, I mean?

Following the same logic? Trying to read the Bible is like trying to read a book by Kant or Aristotle.

noname2200 said:
mibuokami said:
Squilliam said:

Best. Post. Ever!

Stay away from any console I pick please: you're obviously bad luck!

Surely being last doesn't stop you from enjoying the games :p This gen in particular seem to have no loser thus far when it comes to quality games

mibuokami said:

Surely being last doesn't stop you from enjoying the games :p This gen in particular seem to have no loser thus far when it comes to quality games

No, but as a veteran of the N64 and Gamecube days I know that low units sold= less 3rd party games. And I like my third party games...

Although I'll drink to your last sentence. Here's hoping it keeps up!