By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - A thread about Sheep, Boys, Men, the PS3 and whether or not you have balls.

FishyJoe said:
Mario Kart Wii is soon to be most sold racing game of all time.

Yes. The bible is the most sold book in history, but I doubt many would argue that it is the greatest piece of literature ever concieved. Kinda silly example, but using sales only to determine that something is number one is equally silly imo.

Around the Network

@Mummelmann

Lulz!

Tease.

Mummelmann said:
FishyJoe said:

Yes. The bible is the most sold book in history, but I doubt many would argue that it is the greatest piece of literature ever concieved. Kinda silly example, but using sales only to determine that something is number one is equally silly imo.

I disagree. Sales are the best (only?) way we have to gauge what the general public thinks about a product's worth. You're welcome to your own opinion about a game (or anything else) that sells well, for example, and more power to you for it, but in most cases it's silly to argue that sales aren't indicative of the masses' opinion.

To cite your own example, I'm confident that throughout the span of time that the Bible was selling, a crapload of Western society thought of it as a must-have item. What they got out of it (literary value? Spiritual comfort? Others? More than one of the above?) requires a separate analysis, but it does not mean that they didn't place a high value on it.

Hmm, I suppose Tupperware must be the best products ever made then, not just accessible, cheap and easy to use?
Following the same logic, I mean?

noname2200 said:
Mummelmann said:
FishyJoe said:

I disagree. Sales are the best (only?) way we have to gauge what the general public thinks about a product's worth. You're welcome to your own opinion about a game (or anything else) that sells well, for example, and more power to you for it, but in most cases it's silly to argue that sales aren't indicative of the masses' opinion.

To cite your own example, I'm confident that throughout the span of time that the Bible was selling, a crapload of Western society thought of it as a must-have item. What they got out of it (literary value? Spiritual comfort? Others? More than one of the above?) requires a separate analysis, but it does not mean that they didn't place a high value on it.

The Bible doesn't count. It was bundled!

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
noname2200 said:
Mummelmann said:
FishyJoe said:

LOL, :D

Squilliam said:
noname2200 said:
Mummelmann said:
FishyJoe said:

Lol! Just ask Crazzyman, the Quran is the better book b/c it wasn't bundled!

Mummelmann said:
Squilliam said:
noname2200 said:
Mummelmann said:
FishyJoe said:

Lol! Just ask Crazzyman, the Quran is the better book b/c it wasn't bundled!

But it was. It came with a religion!

Tease.

Well, I'm glad to say I've always maintained the 360 had a decent chance, when the boards here were leaning pretty damn heavily on the PS3 side. Of course, I didn't think it'd be so 360 favored, but neither did you with your (relatively) conservative prediction

This is why I love the Predictions League - no backing out, that shit is set in stone! See my awful predictions made just 7 weeks ago below (my only excuse I have were those nasty adjustments). Wish we had more longer term ones...

c0rd said:

Well, I'm glad to say I've always maintained the 360 had a decent chance, when the boards here were leaning pretty damn heavily on the PS3 side. Of course, I didn't think it'd be so 360 favored, but neither did you with your (relatively) conservative prediction

This is why I love the Predictions League - no backing out, that shit is set in stone! See my awful predictions made just 7 weeks ago below (my only excuse I have were those nasty adjustments). Wish we had more longer term ones...

Going against the grain is annoying enough! I hate being specific, because once I start taking all the possible variables into account my head started to spin. But im glad one person did!

Tease.