By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Top selling HD game of 08: MGS4 vs Gears of War 2

An early thread made me wonder if the top PS3 exclusive may top the 360's for the first time in 09. However, after checking the numbers I realized the 360 may not even make the cut for 08. While I'm aware MGS4 came out much earlier in the year, I find it interesting nonetheless.

Here are the stats of both games:

Gears of War 2: (3,187,025)

America Others Total

2.12m 1.08m 3.20m

1,306,571 589,673 1,896,244

330,703 201,966 532,669

169,305 101,258 270,563

186,156 87,297 273,453

119,116 94,980 214,096

Metal Gear Solid 4: (3,617,387)

(Worldwide sales)
4 weeks ago - 24,726
3 weeks ago - 27,731
2 weeks ago - 38,065
1 week ago  - 33,984

The current difference in sales is 430k. There are three weeks left in the year, so Gears 2 must outsell MGS4 by ~145k a week to make the cut. Can it make it? While the most recent week has shown possible signs of slowdown for Gears 2, it still outsold MGS4 by about 180k. Also, after last month's NPD, some suspect Gears 2 may be overtracked. What do you think?

Around the Network

it was already proven gears2 wasn't being overtracked Capps came out and said when they broke 3 million sold and it lined up with vg chartz.

either way it will be very close

gears is over tracked here ,,,Epic said the game is almost hitting 3 million shipped but we have it at 3,100,000 sold to customers.

No Epic said it was 3 million sell through as of the end of the first week in Dec. Not shipped.

Katin- they wouldn't comment on sell through because it doesn't matter to them. More than likely it was shipments they were commenting on. Considering nothing on NPD numbers would suggest otherwise, it is definitely shipments.

Around the Network

MGS4 has been out a bit longer. It would be more interesting if they came out at the same time.

Lurker said:
MGS4 has been out a bit longer. It would be more interesting if they came out at the same time.

But Gears of War 2 came out in the holiday season, where there is generally a much larger number of people purchasing games/video game systems.

Not saying what you are saying isn't true, but that there is a counterpoint.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Gears 2 will make it to 4 million within a month or two.

Best selling HD game of 08 = GTAIV.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Godot said:
Best selling HD game of 08 = GTAIV.

True but I believe he's talking about exclusives of 08.