By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will you be satisfied with curent HD graphics after PS4/x720 wil come?

I know, that this is a bit too early to talk, but just want to hear your opinions. =) Many believe, that new consoles from Sony, Nintendo and M$ will be released in 2011-2012.

This is how i supose will look future-gen HD games:

And THIS is how it looks on current HD console ingame:

+ Direct Feed image:

I mean, some people waiting for future gen consoles release, YET i ask, DOES this mean, that you won`t be satisfied with current HD console graphics, after future-gen consoles release in 2012-2014? Just some thoughts about Sony`s 10 years plan. :)

There was a BIG step forward between PSone and PS2, now there will be BIG step between PS2 and PS3, and the gap between PS3 and PS4 is above.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

I'm still happy with late PS1 era graphics... as long as i know that extra money saved on graphics was put to use on gameplay and other features.

The Uncanny Valley won't satisfy anyone. We're already there with some current games, I can only imagine it will get worse as characters look closer and closer to humans.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

The Uncanny Valley won't satisfy anyone. We're already there with some current games, I can only imagine it will get worse as characters look closer and closer to humans.

Speaking from my own experience, I'm not completely convinced that the Uncanny Valley exists, much less that we have produced anything that lifelike, much less that game consoles can render images thusly.

Its not about graphics anymore - its about development ease. The main obstacle stopping "better" graphics is cost of development, NOT hardware power.

Based on what you have at the first post, it will be impossible to convince consumers that "graphics are better". They will get more of a "graphical upgrade" by buying a better TV, than buying a new console...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

I think you're just proving why the Wii is selling so well..

Even though hardcore gamers would be satisfied with PS3/360 graphics in te Next gen, the general consumer were happy with the PS2/GC/XBOX graphics and so they don't mind that Wii is graphically inferior as the games are fun and the graphics aren't bad enough that they impede gameplay (in quality titles)

So by the time next-gen rolls in and Nintendo have specs similar to the 360/PS3, it'll once again be cheaper, and even the hardcore won't have much reason to complain..

The games look amazing these days. I think what it really comes down to is, what tv your running them on.

You wanna have your opinion, then you have to respect different opinions as well.

People will be perfectly content with this generation's graphics until the console marketers start to release screenshots of the next generation's consoles. Only then will the complaints about this generation begin. This is how it has always been, and this is how it always will be: the push for a new gen is always led by marketing.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

We don't need that huge of a leap for next-generation. Graphics are at a pretty high-level as is.

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

This is why I have been so vocal about on two subjects when it comes to the next generation.

1. It had better not come for a long time. (2014 at the earliest)

2. One spec future. (same CPU, GPU, RAM, Storage, etc.)

In the case of number one we need to let this generation play out longer than any before it for a numorus amount of reasons. All three console makers are making a profit and the whole market is stable at this point. As shown in the OP a new console in the next 2 or 3 years is pointless as far as technology goes. The amount of untapped capabilities in the proccessors for PS3 and 360 is still stagering. Third parties need to get stable or we risk severly damaging the industry. There are numerous others that I could metion, and I am sure any logical game fan could point out a ton more also.

As far as my second point goes, this is something that companies and consumers are going to have to come to accept. I think Sony is already thinking along the lines of a single format future, and I think Microsoft is in the same boat. With the gains in tech becoming less of an advantage for the big boys, the doors to more gaming consoles are busting open. It would not be stretching the imagination to far to think Apple, Samsung, Panasonic, Toshiba, or any other CE company may try to through a console out there next generation. It will be very easy to through together a $200 dollar unit that is indistiguishable from a $600 dollar unit in the next couple of years. The best thing for all three of the big players is to get together on a single format along with all these other companies for the next gen.

The world of hardware is getting to the point were we need to much time to create software for any gains to be made. That is why Sony Microsoft, and Nintendo will be much better off selling to a base of 500M next generation across ten differant devices that all run the same, than trying to sell in a market flooded with propiotary formats.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL