By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RPG Genre Discussion Thread

lestatdark said:
ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
which generation for u had the most interesting and favorite jrpg's in your gaming life so far ?
i would say the playstation 2 era, as of right now. final fantasy 10,10-2,11,xenosaga,tales of games,shadow hearts,suikoden games,dragon quest 8,star ocean,grandia,magna carta,plus many more games i could mention as well. final fantasy 10 being my favorite of that era on the playstation 2.

This one's easy for me, SNES generation by a long shot. 

Although the PS1 era had some good RPG's, like Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Castlevania SOTN, Grandia, Shining Ark, Final Fantasy VII, Granstream Saga, Alundra, Kouldelka, with Parasite Eve leading the way; SNES generation to me was simply superior.

Lufia 2, Terranigma, Earthbound, Dragon Quest V, Final Fantasy VI, Illusion of Gaia, Story of Thor, Phantasy Star IV, Breath of Fire II, Bahamut Lagoon, Chrono Trigger, Shining Force II, E.V.O, SoulBlazer, Secret of Mana 2, Secret of Evermore, Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia...the list goes on

MUST play all those somehow (except for CT, FF6 & DQ4/5 which I have played)

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
lestatdark said:
ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
which generation for u had the most interesting and favorite jrpg's in your gaming life so far ?
i would say the playstation 2 era, as of right now. final fantasy 10,10-2,11,xenosaga,tales of games,shadow hearts,suikoden games,dragon quest 8,star ocean,grandia,magna carta,plus many more games i could mention as well. final fantasy 10 being my favorite of that era on the playstation 2.

Although the PS1 era had some good RPG's, like Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Castlevania SOTN, Grandia, Shining Ark, Final Fantasy VII, Granstream Saga, Alundra, Kouldelka, with Parasite Eve leading the way; SNES generation to me was simply superior.

Lufia 2, Terranigma, Earthbound, Dragon Quest V, Final Fantasy VI, Illusion of Gaia, Story of Thor, Phantasy Star IV, Breath of Fire II, Bahamut Lagoon, Chrono Trigger, Shining Force II, E.V.O, SoulBlazer, Secret of Mana 2, Secret of Evermore, Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia...the list goes on

Get a couple of good emulators for both SNES and Megadrive (Story of Thor, Phantasy Star IV and Shining Force II are for the SEGA console), like ZSNESW and Megasis and you're all set

My recommendation is that you start with either Lufia 2 or Terranigma (depending if you're more Turn Based RPG or Action RPG oriented). Both of them are my favourite SNES RPG's

I've played them at least 10 times

Edit - DQ IV is a NES Game  

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
would anyone buy : elder scrolls 3 morrowind if it was updated and had new content for it and then released on the hd systems ?
i would , i never played a elder scrolls game before morrowind and it gave me a expansive world to explore and unquie feel, that i never got from a rpg before it. i hope it happens someday, i want more ppl to experience this great game.

Interesting question, but something I cannot see Bethesda actually doing.  If they did a Remake I would prefer it be of Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall (my favorite of the bunch).  Was PC only, and a game that needs to be experienced (less people got a chance to check it out than Morrowinds).  

Tho, Id play Morrowinds again if had a remake in HD.  Most Definitely.

lestatdark said:
darthdevidem01 said:
lestatdark said:
ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:

Get a couple of good emulators for both SNES and Megadrive (Story of Thor, Phantasy Star IV and Shining Force II are for the SEGA console), like ZSNESW and Megasis and you're all set

My recommendation is that you start with either Lufia 2 or Terranigma (depending if you're more Turn Based RPG or Action RPG oriented). Both of them are my favourite SNES RPG's

Cool so I can play em on emulators!

I'll ty both but shouldn't I play lufia 1 first? Also Dragon Quest VI....is it worth waiting for the remake to get here or should I play that on the emulator.

Well DQIX is a month away so maybe I might as well wait for the remake.

darthdevidem01 said:
lestatdark said:
darthdevidem01 said:
lestatdark said:
ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:

Cool so I can play em on emulators!

I'll ty both but shouldn't I play lufia 1 first? Also Dragon Quest VI....is it worth waiting for the remake to get here or should I play that on the emulator.

Well DQIX is a month away so maybe I might as well wait for the remake.

Although Lufia 1 came first, Lufia 2 actually is the prequel to the story and introduces correctly all the notions and concepts of the sinistrals, maxim and selen (you play as their descendent in Lufia 1), the Fortress of Doom and the Dual Blades. 

You'll understand Lufia 1 much better if you play Lufia 2 first

As for DQ VI, you should wait for the remake to get here, since the unnoficial fan projects are very hard to find nowadays (since the site Kefka's Palace shut down in 2003), and the DEJAP translation is only at 70% or so.  

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

does anyone think we will get a trailer for dragon quest 10 at e3 this year ?

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

just ordered ar tonelico 3 and atlier rorona for the ps3, should arrive by friday. cant wait too try these new versions out.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:

Hopefully, but I think that they'll show more of the NA version of DQIX and leave DQX for TGS later this year.

Current PC Build

DQX & Versus XIII at TGS lets hope

BTW I thinkw e'll see a The Last Story trailer at E3 for sure because:

1. After xenoblade has its shonen jump reveal it had its trailer come out 3 weeks after that

Co-incidently The Last Story's shonen jump reveal is 3 weeks before ninty's E3 conference!!

lestatdark said:
ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:

Hopefully, but I think that they'll show more of the NA version of DQIX and leave DQX for TGS later this year.

I'm not sure about DQiX, becuase it's already being released in NA in July, though they do have to show something since Nintendo really seems to be supporting DQIX.