By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony didn't intend PS3 to succeed as a console

Will paste what i said in another thread

Many people on this site (actually I mean Sony fanboys) have gone on and on about how Blu Ray in PS3 was the right decision and that in the end the royalties would make the losses on the PS3 hardware worth it.

I find that to be a wholly unrealistic view. With so many members of the Blu Ray association I don't see how Sony could make $4bn from royalties,etc to make back the losses plus $2 or $3bn on top to result in this blu ray in PS3 having been a profitable venture for Sony and the right decision.

If Sony can make about $7bn from Blu Ray then Toshiba must be swimming from some serious money because I am pretty certain they make much much more royalties on DVD than Sony makes on Blu Ray and I doubt Blu Ray will ever be as popular as DVD has been.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

I want 3 minuted of my life back, plz! k? thx

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

kowenicki said:

I said that the PS3 was a trojan horse for BluRay way back... does anyone seriously not agree with that?

Sony stand to make far more from HDTV and Bluray players than they ever could from the PS3.. its quite obvious really.

But to say they didnt want it to succeed is a bit silly.

²

c0rd said:
Squilliam said:
Staude said:
Squilliam said:
Microsoft and Nintendo may not even include optical drives in their next system(s), and theres always the war for setting the DRM standard for online content delivery to win.

if you look at the online aspects this gen.. i think atleast nintendo will..

I was talking about a return to cartridges!

Oh, yes, please... that would be hot.

Oh, and I think that Staude comment was pretty silly

"Simple" is the awesome word which describes this scenario. Nintendo likes simple, so they're practically a lock. The fact that they like cartridges makes it even more likely! No more noisey optical drives please.

Tease.

JGarret said:
I wonder how much damage the media perception could inflict on PS3 sales...will it get even worse from now on?

Media perception won't deter the core audience, the problem is the core audience isn't 100% loyal and will go where the most games they want are typically. Also the core gamer crowd isn't all that big as sad as that is to admit.

It will however deter the more casual people who would have bought it, these are the same people who tend to hop on at the sub 200$(US) mark, where it hits what people commonly refer to as "mass market price." The problem being if mass market perception is bad, the price doesn't much matter. In the end media perception of a product will affect it's outcome very heavily. Same as market perception of the GC, bright colorful, looked like a toy, hurt it despite it being a very capable console.

Around the Network

I didnt understand the point of the article (wall of text).

In what way was the PS3 designed on purpose to not succeed as a gaming console??

Dgc1808 said:
SONY Doomed thread # 284024

The Wii has had 725,620 of full-on bash articles.  284,024 doesn't seem too bad (especially given this particular one is half-spin, half-bash).

Squilliam said:
c0rd said:
Squilliam said:
Staude said:
Squilliam said:
Microsoft and Nintendo may not even include optical drives in their next system(s), and theres always the war for setting the DRM standard for online content delivery to win.

if you look at the online aspects this gen.. i think atleast nintendo will..

I was talking about a return to cartridges!

Oh, yes, please... that would be hot.

Oh, and I think that Staude comment was pretty silly

"Simple" is the awesome word which describes this scenario. Nintendo likes simple, so they're practically a lock. The fact that they like cartridges makes it even more likely! No more noisey optical drives please.

"In the real world, "optical" refers to vision, or the ability to see. In the computer world, however, "optical" refers to lasers, which can "see" and read data on optical discs. These discs include CDs and DVDs, which are made up of millions of small bumps and dips. Optical drives have lasers that read these bumps and dips as ones and zeros, which the computer can understand.

Some common types of optical drives include CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD?RW, and Blu-ray drives. CD and DVD writers, such as CD-R and DVD-R drives use a laser to both read and write data on the discs. The laser used for writing the data is much more powerful than the laser that reads the data, as it "burns" the bumps and dips into the disc."

I naturally assumed you were talking about disc based drives :p

Check out my game about moles ^

wfz said:
So Blu-Ray is considered a success?

Blu-ray is a moderate success.. I mean, it defeated HDDVD but it people haven't really adopted it as much as Sony would like.

The problem for Sony is that they are the ones who got the big loss to win the format war. However, they aren't the only company in the Blu Ray consortium.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...