By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Nintendo Fanboy - November Results Was A Tough Blow To Sony

http://www.nintendofanboy.org/viewm.php?m=157

With the NPD results in, the news for Sony is about as bad as Nintendo's news is good. With only 378,000 units sold, the PS3 yielded a year-over-year decline for the month of November - of about 90,000 units

This is a tough blow for the PS3, but of course Sony's bed was made the moment Kaz Hirai stood up in front of the world and announced their five hundred and ninety-nine US dollar console.

Sony fully expected LittleBigPlanet to be a system seller this holiday season. That much is obvious because they bundled the PS3 with it in Europe. Instead, this game (of amazing technical achievement, to be sure) sold a disappointing 141,000 units, not even breaking the top 20. Those numbers would be fine for any given low-budget third-party game, but they're abysmal for what was hailed by many PS3 owners as a new flagship IP that would carry its home console into new territory and demographic spread.

Sony's not going to admit defeat, but it will be interesting to see how the next console generation starts out, if only to observe what they've learned from their massive missteps with the Playstation 3. In the meantime, it looks like they will continue to hemorrhage money while trying to find the identity that they're looking for in terms of their gaming audience.

The article also has a few interesting things to say about LBP .. good read overall...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

How is that a good read? Its saying they f#cked themselves when they came out at 599, and that LBP is selling like crap.

You find that a good read?

mM

Good points (regarding LBP), but it is probably not going to get much of a positive response.

leo-j said:
How is that a good read? Its saying they f#cked themselves when they came out at 599, and that LBP is selling like crap.

You find that a good read?

He would, yeah. 

I'm actually kind of glad this is happening.  Sony needs to cut the price.  Period.  They are being stubborn.

Okay ENOUGH. We get it, Sony fucked up royal, lets just drop the whole "post every Sony is dead" article we find, mmm?

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network

People have so much hate for sony, after having owned a PS2, they hate sony to hell. Why?? The ps3 is an amazing console honestly the best I have, and people hate sony to death.

mM

"It has weird "floaty" physics, and as a platformer, just feels "off" to people who are accustomed to decades of Mario, Mega Man, or Castlevania style controls. (There's a reason those games are successful - it's because the platforming is fun, not because they got there first)"

Claiming the platforming isn't fun? Taking advantage of low sales numbers to take a shot at a game, something you wouldn't have gotten away with before.

Shadowblind said:

Okay ENOUGH. We get it, Sony fucked up royal, lets just drop the whole "post every Sony is dead" article we find, mmm?

its gebx, wat do u expect?

The price point is obvious. As for their points on LBP - I was saying that months ago. LBP will be remembered as the game that should've been on Wii (or at least 360). PS3 has the wrong userbase for it and is too expensive to attract a new one.

leo-j said:
People have so much hate for sony, after having owned a PS2, they hate sony to hell. Why?? The ps3 is an amazing console honestly the best I have, and people hate sony to death.

The only reason I had to hate Sony for when I did wasn't the PS3. It was the fact that Sony threatened and attacked many homebrew coders for the PSP, such as Dark_Alex, Fanjita, and a good many others who just made emulators and apps. Its a bigger thing in the homebrew community to be sure, but it was basically Sony stating "We don't like your freedom with our console." 

Instead of trying to stop the piracy which was they're excuse to fight the coders, they tried to stop homebrew. Which was stupid and unneccesary.

Regardless, I don't know why others have a reason to hate on Sony just for being Sony. Until the who homebrew mess, I loved Sony. And I'm not really that ticked at them anymore anyway.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.