By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What is stopping Nintendo from releasing "Best of VC" collections?

With the release of SEGA's upcoming Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection coming up in February, it got me wondering.  Nintendo, of all companies, is probably best suited to release compilation discs of past games.  Why then do we never see these kind of things from them?  The last I can remember is Super Mario Allstars for the SNES.  These releases would be good companion products to the Virtual Console for people like me who A) don't have wi-fi, B) refuse to pay for the LAN adapter when the input should have been built into the system in the first place and C) would prefer hard copies of games wherever possible.  I think Nintendo is missing out on some easy revenue here.  Who wouldn't buy the "Mario Classics Collection" with SMB 1, 2, 3, Mario World, Yoshi's Island and Mario 64?  Or who wouldn't buy the "Zelda Classics Collection" with Zelda 1, 2, Link to the Past, Ocarina and Majora?  Think of the mixed compilations they could offer with mixes of titles like Kid Icarus, Excite Bike or any of countless Nintendo classics from past generations.  I'd pay the full $50 for some of these collections.  Especially if the graphics were updated while leaving the gameplay untouched, but that's probably asking a bit much.  I'll take them as is and be happy.  What can we as the Nintendo fans do to encourage the company to release these?

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

Around the Network

This is a good idea! I guess the reason that Nintendo doesn't do this is the same reason that Disney always holds back on their classics. They know that if they re-release them in a couple of years, I will buy them. I've bought Mario World, Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Country, and Zelda: Link to the Past more times than I can count (I can't count to 3). A definitive version would cost them money in the future. Mario is the head of the Mafia. Nobody is going to make him give up a profit.

Nintendo did do a definitive Zelda collection for the GameCube, but it wasn't (iirc) a retail product, some sort of preorder bonus or something like it

Either way, Sega does what Nintendon't in this case because Sega needs what Nintenhas: money (ok, that was horrible), but Sega's titles, being more suited for the arcades in a lot of cases, couldn't stand on their own for an individual re-release like the games of the Super Mario Advance series could, hence the collections

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

Nintendo did do a definitive Zelda collection for the GameCube, but it wasn't (iirc) a retail product, some sort of preorder bonus or something like it

Either way, Sega does what Nintendon't in this case because Sega needs what Nintenhas: money (ok, that was horrible), but Sega's titles, being more suited for the arcades in a lot of cases, couldn't stand on their own for an individual re-release like the games of the Super Mario Advance series could, hence the collections

I'd even settle for each title rereleased individually ala the Mario Advance series.  Just update the graphics and charge $20-$30 apiece.  Gimmie some alternative to the VC or emulation on my PC.

Mr Khan said:

If memory serves, that collection had a major omission, A Link to the Past.

Around the Network

Super Mario All-Stars

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
Super Mario All-Stars

I mentioned that in my thread starter.  Why is that the only collection and why so long ago?

Because they can get you to pay more this way. Like, way more.

d21lewis said:
This is a good idea! I guess the reason that Nintendo doesn't do this is the same reason that Disney always holds back on their classics. They know that if they re-release them in a couple of years, I will buy them. I've bought Mario World, Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Country, and Zelda: Link to the Past more times than I can count (I can't count to 3). A definitive version would cost them money in the future. Mario is the head of the Mafia. Nobody is going to make him give up a profit.

lol

Check out my game about moles ^

noname2200 said:
Because they can get you to pay more this way. Like, way more.

This is the long and short of it. I'm certainly not helping things, either. I just keep giving them money.