By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Washington Times: Sony doing all in its power to “hinder” PS3

Let the good times roll. The Washington Times has accused Sony of being “determined to do everything in its power to hinder the market penetration of [PS3] in particular and Blu-ray in general.”

In an editorial titled, “Sabotaging the Sony Playstation 3 market?” the paper says Sony has done nothing to move against disaster in the macro-economy by keeping the machine’s price high, and that its Blu-ray marketing is a “losing strategy”.

The piece goes as far to say that unless Sony’s attitude to Blu-ray changes we could be looking at the demise of the format in its entirety.

“Sony and the rest of the Blu-ray manufacturers need to implement a radical shift in their marketing strategy: Hammer home the fact that not only will their new Blu-ray player play high-definition movies, it also will vastly improve the picture quality of their previously purchased libraries,” says author Sonny Bunch.

“Without such a shift, the format might perish. Market penetration remains low, and every month people don’t buy a Blu-ray player is a month they get closer to downloadable HD movies and the death of the format as a whole.”

Hit the link. Be warned, though: it’s grim reading. If that isn’t enough anti-PS3 sentiment for you, check out CNN calling the machine “a sinking ship.” It’s just as cheery.

VG247  article.

My thoughts here.

I actually think the PS3 could be dumped 09 and the PS4 launched with no BR and a price of 199 to 250.

Maybe with some exclusives as well and PS2  and 1 BC.

I just cannot see Sony sticking with this much longer.

They are losing too much money with it.

Just my thoughts mind you so I am possibly way off the mark but I just have a feeling about it.

Around the Network

PS3 getting dumped in 2009 would make John Lucas proud.

LOL

What are they going to do about the 17 million people who will want their heads if they terminate the product now? :)

edit: btw, just another "sony is doomed" thread :)

They'll stick it out. Even if it kills them. They must be thinking everything's going to turn around for them, which is possible. Price drop, tons of exclusives, maybe adding a free game or two with purchase. I personal don't see things like this. They should consider a $199 Blu-rayless PS3. That would get a few people to think twice about purchasing one.

Predictions for 2009: (Right) (Wrong) (Partial)

Pokemon Gold/Silver DS Japan in September

NES colored Wii and SNES Classic Controler for Christmas

Super Role Bros for Christmas

FF Remakes announced; VII PS3 VIII 360 IX Wii

New Super Mario World November 2009

Yes, I agree with you. 2009 looks to be the end of the PS3. I think all PS3 owners should prepare some kind of support group in Home to help them get through the trauma of their favourite brand dying. I predict that Sony will officially stop production of the PS3 in February 2009, just after Killzone 2 comes out. It makes sense because Killzone 2 was the first PS3 game to be revealed back in 2005, so it's kinda fitting to make it the final PS3 game. So long Sony, you made 3 great consoles and a great handheld. It's time to step back and let Microsoft take your place. Thanks for 14 years of great gaming.

Around the Network

Um, guys, they want to push Blu Ray, not abandon it. It would be suicide to abandon Blu Ray in 2009, the PS3 is one of the reasons Blu Ray won the format war.

papflesje said:

LOL

What are they going to do about the 17 million people who will want their heads if they terminate the product now? :)

edit: btw, just another "sony is doomed" thread :)

As I said these are just my thoughts but I have been around long enough to know how business works and profit is the name of the game.

Maybe you are right about the doom thread but If things dont turn around mid by 09 do you think Sony will let MS walk away with it.

reask said:

Let the good times roll. The Washington Times has accused Sony of being “determined to do everything in its power to hinder the market penetration of [PS3] in particular and Blu-ray in general.”

In an editorial titled, “Sabotaging the Sony Playstation 3 market?” the paper says Sony has done nothing to move against disaster in the macro-economy by keeping the machine’s price high, and that its Blu-ray marketing is a “losing strategy”.

The piece goes as far to say that unless Sony’s attitude to Blu-ray changes we could be looking at the demise of the format in its entirety.

“Sony and the rest of the Blu-ray manufacturers need to implement a radical shift in their marketing strategy: Hammer home the fact that not only will their new Blu-ray player play high-definition movies, it also will vastly improve the picture quality of their previously purchased libraries,” says author Sonny Bunch.

“Without such a shift, the format might perish. Market penetration remains low, and every month people don’t buy a Blu-ray player is a month they get closer to downloadable HD movies and the death of the format as a whole.”

Hit the link. Be warned, though: it’s grim reading. If that isn’t enough anti-PS3 sentiment for you, check out CNN calling the machine “a sinking ship.” It’s just as cheery.

VG247  article.

My thoughts here.

I actually think the PS3 could be dumped 09 and the PS4 launched with no BR and a price of 199 to 250.

Maybe with some exclusives as well and PS2  and 1 BC.

I just cannot see Sony sticking with this much longer.

They are losing too much money with it.

Just my thoughts mind you so I am possibly way off the mark but I just have a feeling about it.

Sega did they same thing and we see how that turned out ;)  PS3 is hard to code for, especially a burden and has little in its game library til next year except mediocore 360 ports with pop-in due to XDR.

People keep asking for Sony to drop BD, yet all PS3 games are on Blu-Ray.

The SONY Playstation 3 Computer Entertainment System is Doomed.

4 ≈ One