By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN : Home Impression :(

Christhegamer said:
I have just deleted Home after downloading it. What is Sony thinking, this is like some old peice of Freeware I downloaded years ago. I can't honestly think way Sony would bring this crap out. I spent 20 mins walking around and people kept saying "hello", I had know idea who they were. I like XBL as you only take to people you have added as friends, I don't want to listen to some 10 years old saying the same thing over and over again. If this was Sonys big hope then I really do think it is over for them as a entertainment company, they really have lost the plot completly.

You still can interface with your friends, you dont have to use Home for it.... Home is like a chat room :) You pick and choose who you want to talk to

Around the Network

The whole discussion about "free" is pretty silly. The real cost is our time.

The first bar to pass for any experience is "Is it worth my time?".

The second quesion is "If it is worth my time, am I willing to pay for it?".

If the the answer to the first question is "no, it is not worth my time" then the second question about the payment is irrelevant.

But worst, if you already spent hours under the promise of an exciting experience and you were let down then you have all the rights to complain about the waste of your time (which is not free) and about being misled by the promoters.

If you purchased the $400 product partly under the promise of the exiciting free experiences it will deliver and the product failed to deliver then you really have the right to feel cheated.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

KylieDog said:
I think some people who dislike Home just have issues with social skills. Please note: some.

Yeah, it's not like everyone with actual social skills is out, you know, socializing in the real world instead of in a "virtual world" or anything.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

*sigh* Have people missed the whole point with Home as it stands? IT'S A BETA!!

Those people expecting a smooth experience, full of content etc just have too high expectations.

Sure, have those expectations when it's launched as being fully operational, but sheesh, it's a beta product so cut it some slack.

Home has the potential for being something akin to Second Life and Sony should be applauded for at least being brave enough to push the boundaries and try something new.

I am largely platform agnostic. I fail to understand why some people get overly fanboyish about what is an inanimate piece of electronics that's obsolete even before it's launched, when there are far more important things to champion, such as preventing environmental destruction or preventing millions of people dying unnecessarily from illnesses. This fact however, doesn’t mean I am not someone who doesn’t enjoy gaming as a pastime (as I have done for the last 20 years) or doesn’t have a strong interest in how the market is evolving – hence my presence on this site.

Platforms owned – PC, DS, X-Box 360, PS3, PSP and Wii.

SMcc1887 said:
kowenicki said:
@ smcc1887 pay for a dashboard on xbox live?? eh?

I would rather pay for something I use then have something for free that I will never use. I KNOW I am not the only one that feels this way.

Yes, you do pay for XBL and this New Dashboard is part of XBL, hence you pay for it.

Loads of people do use Home, and will continue to use Home more as it continually gets updated. You should check out the stuff coming to Home in the near future. I KNOW this as many cannot even enter Home due to extremely extremely high traffic levels, hence people do use Home

Incorrect logic. I am a silver member of live. I do not pay anything to use it and I received the dashboard update.

XBL itself is not something you have to pay for. XBL Gold Members pay money for additional features. No one HAS to pay for XBL. Gold members choose to pay so that they can take advantage of premium features.

That is all. Updates to XBL are available to ALL members..you do not have to pay to receive them.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

Around the Network
Press_the_Button said:
*sigh* Have people missed the whole point with Home as it stands? IT'S A BETA!!

Those people expecting a smooth experience, full of content etc just have too high expectations.

Sure, have those expectations when it's launched as being fully operational, but sheesh, it's a beta product so cut it some slack.

Home has the potential for being something akin to Second Life and Sony should be applauded for at least being brave enough to push the boundaries and try something new.

You are aware the final release is meant to be before the end 08 right? How much do you really expect to change within a few weeks? Seriously there are different levels of Beta for games.  For example Halo 3 beta was very similar to final release. Heroes of might and magic 5 was similar but full of glitches. Oh except with Homm5 they actually pushed the release date back. Beta's are basically a finished product unless the product is then delayed.

Oh and it's kinda funny you saying how home has potential to be like second life (i.e. it's trying but not quite there yet) then say they are pushing boundaries and trying something new! You can't copy something and have it be new. Although I would argue Home can never be akin to second life because of it's lack of customability.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

I just have to wonder what exactly Sony has even been doing with it for the last year and a half.

from what ive played of it, home is good..... ive met loads of more online buddies on psn and sony will improve home as time goes on.

plus its a free to use and a free download

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Sony just can't buy a break.  A lot of this can be blamed on Sony though.  They once again over promised and under delivered.  They have been hyping this for 2 years and finally a public release is less than what people were expecting. Was this what fans were asking for?

The momentum of the Xbox forced Sony to release this early (wasn't it supposed to be released on the 17th?) and it is obviously unfinished.  The bad word of mouth will hurt Home in the long run.  If you read the official Playstation boards there is tons of complaining. 

It will take a lot of work to turn this around and at some point they will need to decide if this is worth it.  Seriously 2 years and this is all they came out with.  It will take another year to add any significant content and by that point the buzz will be dead.

Barozi said:
SMcc1887 said:
kowenicki said:
@ smcc1887 pay for a dashboard on xbox live?? eh?

I would rather pay for something I use then have something for free that I will never use. I KNOW I am not the only one that feels this way.

Yes, you do pay for XBL and this New Dashboard is part of XBL, hence you pay for it.

Loads of people do use Home, and will continue to use Home more as it continually gets updated. You should check out the stuff coming to Home in the near future. I KNOW this as many cannot even enter Home due to extremely extremely high traffic levels, hence people do use Home

New Dashboard is free. Everybody can get the update, even when they have never played a game or never used any kind of gold subscription.

You can use the marketplace, watch movies, play music, view pictures, add friends, view your achievements, play demos, play Arcade games, use the Windows Media Center, get news and install games to the HDD for FREE

the gold users subscriptions paid for it all though.

Check out my game about moles ^