By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Steam hardware survey results relaunched

It's been a long time since I've taken part in one of Steam's hardware surveys, but here are the current results for you all to see. I'm looking at it and I see XP being used more than Vista (even with DX10 cards), Intel being used more than AMD, and Nvidia being used more than ATI (or I guess still AMD). It also looks like dual core CPU's are slowly taking over single core users.

Hardware survey results

@Kotaku

"Valve announced today that it was relaunching its hardware survey, publishing its findings for the month of November and giving the public a look at the Steam-enabled PC gaming hardware landscape.

The developer has expanded its insightful program by providing hardware adoption trends, with six months of data on CPU, GPU and DirectX usage published in handy, easy-to-read pie and line chart formats. Normally, we wouldn't be that jazzed to poke through operating system ratios, but thanks to the nicely constructed aggregation of data, we can't stop wondering things like "I wonder what the most popular multi-monitor desktop resolution is?"

With some 8 million computers surveyed over the course of 4-plus years, we'd say its a pretty solid indicator of who's doin' what out there."

Around the Network

Nifty, glad to see this available again...now if only they would release sales data also =P

I won't hold my breath for that one.

To Each Man, Responsibility

Didn't they release sales of their older games? Might not be Steam's numbers, but they're getting closer I guess.

I did this yesterday.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

I'm kinda worried about this. Thing is, my computer can run DX9, but for a lot of valve games (which I play on Steam) I have to manually override in order to play at DX8, so that I can play without getting unreasonable amounts of lag.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

Wow, the GF8800 is such a popular card.

For the vast majority of games at typical resolutions, an 8800's all you need.

Given the production numbers by multiple vendors and very competitive pricing, leading to arguably the best price/performance ratio, it's no wonder the 8800 has been so popular.

Was surprised to see such a low number of quad CPU systems, but given that next to no games take advantage of the extra two cores, maybe I shouldn't have been.

Multi GPU systems were even rarer still. Boggling considering how many people like to talk about building SLI or Crossfire PCs.

Less than 512 MB
(-0.31%) 2.91%

Other computers are as bad as mine still? Yay =p
I have like 384 megs of ram...

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

DaveD said:
Less than 512 MB
(-0.31%) 2.91%

Well...when you have the urge to order a pizza or something similar...resist once, maybe twice, and that's enough money to buy 2 GB of RAM for yourself hehe.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
DaveD said:
Less than 512 MB
(-0.31%) 2.91%

Well...when you have the urge to order a pizza or something similar...resist once, maybe twice, and that's enough money to buy 2 GB of RAM for yourself hehe.

Cheapest I saw for ONE gig was like 40, and it was for the wrong type too, in a store that was closing >_<

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)