By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the PS1/PS2 sucked and why the Wii rules. (Analogue sticks)

Its taken me 3 generations to get comfortable with the analogue sticks and the switch to 3d on consoles. So over 10 years of gaming and probably thousands of hours of play time for me to feel as at home playing on the systems.

If you don't like reading heres the short version.

Analogue stick learning curve -> 1000 hours

Wiimote learning curve -> 5 minutes.

PS1

"I wanted to be pointed THAT way, not the other way" D-Pad for 3d movement = not the best.

"WTF do I do with all these buttons, its confusing!!!"

"Why is this stick so wierd? It doesn't track movement precisely, thank god for auto aim"

PS2

"Hold down L2 and then press X whilst pulling away from the enemy with the left... WTF???" Devil may cry, im looking at you. Just one example of a game I never finished, there were many more.

"Stay on target, stay on target!!! Well I got him in the shoulder at least" Why are the sticks so slow? Horrible framerate??? But at least an improvement over the PS1.

PS3

"Got it now" Only took 3 generations of playing the consoles and improvements in the controls for me to finally be able to use them. But to be quite frank, had I not been trying since the PS1 days I would have never bothered with the current generation, too confusing I guess. Now controls have improved on the developer/console side, but it was a long slow journey.

Wii

"Press the A+B buttons to begin" - Shows the location of the two buttons on screen with a picture. "Ahh" Easy...

God I just remembered how much I hated the "f888ing sticks!" You had to play consoles for a while or you never really got used to the controls at all, I was always hopeful and always disapointed that whenever I tried to play the games they were just too confusing or too difficult to get the hang of. Quite frankly it was annoying knowing I was fighting the controller more than the game, the game itself was easy and I knew it. Its just getting my inputs into it that were hard.

The Wii is definately not intimidating, I bet Nintendo throws in Wii sports as an essential introduction so that if you've never gamed before you only have to learn one thing at a time. First learn the Wiimote, check! Best game for that? Wii Tennis. The number of times you have to click with it is annoying, they must have known how annoying it was, but they did it to train people how to use the pointer. Its the same deal with the "ready" screen, getting people used to pressing the A/B buttons and remembering their locations.

Tease.

Around the Network

The PSX and PS2 ruled.. and that's a fact, not my opinion.

''Hadouken!''

I think I would agree with you on the point that the Wii's interface is more intuitive than the traditional gamepad's. One has to ease into the nunchuck, though.

Khuutra said:
I think I would agree with you on the point that the Wii's interface is more intuitive than the traditional gamepad's. One has to ease into the nunchuck, though.

Pretty much!

Tease.

If you got started on console gaming, you would have picked up analog controls within 10 minutes. I know I did. To begin with, I preferred the D-Pad on the PS1, but then analog became the only method of movement, so I adapted. Like I said, 10 minutes.

The Wiimote, for somebody with an unsteady hand, is a nightmare.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

so 140 million units of Ps2 and who knows how many of PSone means they sucked huh? Sorry that you were too slow use the analog sticks on a game controller.

Kantor said:
If you got started on console gaming, you would have picked up analog controls within 10 minutes. I know I did. To begin with, I preferred the D-Pad on the PS1, but then analog became the only method of movement, so I adapted. Like I said, 10 minutes.

The Wiimote, for somebody with an unsteady hand, is a nightmare.

My mum has unsteady hands, involuntary jerks of her hands etc. She can use it just fine.

Tease.

Gatorgamer88 said:
so 140 million units of Ps2 and who knows how many of PSone means they sucked huh? Sorry that you were too slow use the analog sticks on a game controller.

He is being facetious. He does not really mean it.

Squilliam said:

Its taken me 3 generations to get comfortable with the analogue sticks and the switch to 3d on consoles. So over 10 years of gaming and probably thousands of hours of play time for me to feel as at home playing on the systems.

If you don't like reading heres the short version.

Analogue stick learning curve -> 1000 hours

Wiimote learning curve -> 5 minutes.

PS1

"I wanted to be pointed THAT way, not the other way" D-Pad for 3d movement = not the best.

"WTF do I do with all these buttons, its confusing!!!"

"Why is this stick so wierd? It doesn't track movement precisely, thank god for auto aim"

PS2

"Hold down L2 and then press X whilst pulling away from the enemy with the left... WTF???" Devil may cry, im looking at you. Just one example of a game I never finished, there were many more.

"Stay on target, stay on target!!! Well I got him in the shoulder at least" Why are the sticks so slow? Horrible framerate??? But at least an improvement over the PS1.

PS3

"Got it now" Only took 3 generations of playing the consoles and improvements in the controls for me to finally be able to use them. But to be quite frank, had I not been trying since the PS1 days I would have never bothered with the current generation, too confusing I guess. Now controls have improved on the developer/console side, but it was a long slow journey.

Wii

"Press the A+B buttons to begin" - Shows the location of the two buttons on screen with a picture. "Ahh" Easy...

God I just remembered how much I hated the "f888ing sticks!" You had to play consoles for a while or you never really got used to the controls at all, I was always hopeful and always disapointed that whenever I tried to play the games they were just too confusing or too difficult to get the hang of. Quite frankly it was annoying knowing I was fighting the controller more than the game, the game itself was easy and I knew it. Its just getting my inputs into it that were hard.

The Wii is definately not intimidating, I bet Nintendo throws in Wii sports as an essential introduction so that if you've never gamed before you only have to learn one thing at a time. First learn the Wiimote, check! Best game for that? Wii Tennis. The number of times you have to click with it is annoying, they must have known how annoying it was, but they did it to train people how to use the pointer. Its the same deal with the "ready" screen, getting people used to pressing the A/B buttons and remembering their locations.

Do you know what's even easier, just pressing 1 button, the start button, any retard can manage to press the start button especially when it's labelled.

After reading your rant I have come to the conclusion that if were all as slow as you the world would simply collapse under it's stupidity...enjoy :D

I've always found the analog sticks to be great, the only time i had a problem with them was the first 15minutes i played Timesplitters when it first came out on the PS2. And auto aim in FPS games is the worst invention ever, it has screwed me over so many times and has only helped me a couple of times in CoD4 due to it being broken and tracking people through walls.

Now the wii on the other hand is almost impossible for me, i have played the wii for 10-20 hours and still can't get the motion controls to work right or the pointing of the wii-mote. I've played about 5 different wii games.