By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Reistance 2 just isn't comparable to Gears .

What's revolutionary about gears 2? Most of the stuff is the same as Gears 1. You can't ignore that factor for one and promote originality for the other. That being said, I don't feel like there's anything really groundbreaking in gears, but in resistance there is 8 player co-op and 60 player online multiplayer. That has to count for some originality. Anyhow, I enjoyed both of the games, they're a blast.

~Currently Playing Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank: FTOD, and Resistance: Retribution~

Around the Network
ultimate_123 said:

OK I've been playing a lot of resistance online and campaign. It is a great game and adds a lot of small touches, however the gameplay adds nothing to FPD genre in general. I mean it doesn nothing groundbreaking which is why Gears is a much more polished and a better game overall IMO.

here is the real reason why they cant be compared. r2 is an fps and gears 2 is an tps.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

While overall I do think Gears 2 looks "better" than Resistance 2, R2's online is just ridiculously more fun. 8 player co-op is so awesome, it should be mandatory in all games. I found the scale of battles to be so much bigger on R2 than GeoW 2. Sure horde has lots of guys coming, wave after wave, but theres literaly times in R2 that you open a door and around 50 guys come charging in at you. So awesome.

I think Resistance 2 is better. It impressed me more with 3 different modes, huge bosses and dedicated servers for 60 players. Gears 2 only has 10. Both have awesome SP modes but when it comes to online, Resistance 2 is far far better. And the final boss for Gears 2 was so anti-climatic, it took me literally 20 seconds.

60 Player online > 10 player online

You cant see that thats revolutionary? it seems to me some games are stuck in the dark ages of 10 people per match.

Around the Network
oliminator1994 said:

You cant see that thats revolutionary? it seems to me some games are stuck in the dark ages of 10 people per match.

Firstly, Gears wouldn't fit right with 60player online. Maybe play the game and then realize why? It's a TPS that some people still prefer the 4player online from Gears 1. Secondly, nothing about 60player online is revolutionary, it's been done before, this isn't the first time it's been done.

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

Infamous said:
oliminator1994 said:

Firstly, Gears wouldn't fit right with 60player online. Maybe play the game and then realize why? It's a TPS that some people still prefer the 4player online from Gears 1. Secondly, nothing about 60player online is revolutionary, it's been done before, this isn't the first time it's been done.

ill be honest i cant think of any other console 60 player online game....

atma998 said:
coolestguyever said:
well thats your opinion. Mine is Resistance 2 is the GOTY 2008. it is amazing.

R2? GOTY 2008? That must be a joke! There is so much more titles who can be GOTY before R2... GeoW2, MGS4, SSBB, Fable 2,...

Okay so let me repeat myself: My opinion is R2 is GOTY.

I didn't like MGS4 (I'm new to the series), GeoW2 takes 15 min to get in an online game, SSBB is good but not R2 good, Fable 2 wasn't amazing either.

Coca-Cola said:
Fair question here.
Why is COD 5 selling more than Resistance 2?
GOW2 is selling more than COD5.
I have not played GOW2 nor Resistance 2, but COD5 is not that good. (imo)

Because its the sequel to the best FPS so far this gen. People generally won't notice World at War is Treyarch and not Infinity Ward. They may not even realize its back to WWII if they're really not paying attention.

Treyarch did absolutely nothing new, unless you consider a flamethrower new which has been in like 500 other games.

Wow... Just wow.