By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Little Big Planet Sales NPD

Sony placed a considerable publicity campaign behind LittleBigPlanet, and the Media Molecule-developed PlayStation 3 exclusive generated lots of buzz. It didn't make November's top 10 titles, though -- so how did it sell?

Well, LBP moved 141,000 units in the United States during November 2008, according to figures provided to Gamasutra by the NPD Group. The title had debuted eighth in the October console software sales charts with 215,000 units sold.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21509

Around the Network

Well, LBP moved 141,000 units in the United States during November 2008, according to figures provided to Gamasutra by the NPD Group. The title had debuted eighth in the October console software sales charts with 215,000 units sold.

That gives LBP 356k sales in the US for October / November.

VG gives LBP in Americas 503k ending 11/29.

Subtract 10% gives you 453k for just the US covering the same period. Those number are 27% higher then NPD.

VG has other's numbers at 412k for the same period. If we assume the same 27% overage gives us 324k for an estimate.

VG has JP numbers of 85k. I'll leave those alone as we always get more JP data from a variety of sources.

356 * 1.10 gives us 392k for Americas

324k for Others

85k for JP

That gives LBP 765k world wide Oct/Nov. Looks like it'll probably break a million world wide by the end of the year, but probably not much more. I'd put the high end at 1.2M for the year, low end 950k.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

bundle ?

Tyrannical said:

Subtract 10% gives you 453k for just the US covering the same period. Those number are 27% higher then NPD.

VG has other's numbers at 412k for the same period. If we assume the same 27% overage gives us 324k for an estimate.

VG has JP numbers of 85k. I'll leave those alone as we always get more JP data from a variety of sources.

324k for Others

85k for JP

That gives LBP 765k world wide Oct/Nov. Looks like it'll probably break a million world wide by the end of the year, but probably not much more. I'd put the high end at 1.2M for the year, low end 950k.

Lol. Why would it be overtracked in Others just because it was in America? In Europe, we at least have charts for each country and can see where it placed compared to other games.

No bundle in America.

Around the Network

I don't think it's overtracked in others, the LBP bundle is doing it's job.

Go buy Metroid OTHER M!

Wii code: 6775-1034-2238-1634

PSN: birdie93      XBL: luthor93

3DS: 3909-7597-9889

You can add me, I won't stop you!

My website: www.fight4custom.com

Lol. Why would it be overtracked in Others just because it was in America? In Europe, we at least have charts for each country and can see where it placed compared to other games.

Aj_habfan said:
Tyrannical said:

324k for Others

85k for JP

Lol. Why would you assume Others is accurate if America was over tracked? Most of VG's sales info is from NA sources, and their NA number should be more accurate then Others anyways.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Tyrannical said: 

Lol. Why would you assume Others is accurate if America was over tracked? Most of VG's sales info is from NA sources, and their NA number should be more accurate then Others anyways.

Well considering LBP already had over 100k and under 200k sales in UK alone 2 weeks ago I'd assume LBP is over 500k in Europe now. (UK is about 25% of all of Europe for Ps3) If it was at the higher end ofthe scale in UK the game could probablly have 700k in Europe right now... but I doubt that.

Don't worry about this game, it shows good legs and is already profitable (I think that only 25 people worked on the game). It will probably be over 1,5M by the end of this year, so everything's ok. Should easily top 2,5-3M LTD.

@Tyr:
But why use NA? You claim would be logically as good if you said that if Japan is accurate than Others must be also accurate thus Others sales should be at 412k.

But there is no connection between Others accuracy and Japanese. So there isn't between NA accuracy and Others. Unless you can prove it.

Sure, others numbers are subjected to under/over-estimation but it can go either way and there are no reason to think that American overestimation has to be repeated in Others.

I would also like to know where you got the information that "Most of VG's sales info is from NA sources" as I don't really remebmer ioi stating that.