By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360 = GEN , PS3 = N64 ... Wii = Wi?

So looking at the variety of games the way it is selling and such I kinda see the 360 kinda like the genesis. Very western, selling very well, obviously final number with be higher than the Gens because of total market growth, but I see similarities. PS3 is kinda like the N64, small amount of really good titles, selling in Japan but weak. The only difference is swap out Other and NA... N64 was weak in others, strong in NA, PS3 is weaker in NA better off in others.

I know these are not perfect comparisons, and can change. But for now, I see similarities. I sure you can nip pick and find problems with the analoges.

Oh ya, the Wii? Maybe the NES. Driven by a bundled game early (mario nes and wiisports), smashing success. Get better variety of games as time goes on.

So how would you compare the current consoles to the past.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

I'd say swap the places of the PS3/360. The Wii is the NES or PS, whichever you choose.

360 is just like the Xbox, just selling better haha. PS3 is more akin to the Genesis. Wii is a lot like, well nothing really before it. It's games really relate to NES and SNES while sales are not like anything else. It's followed its own trends up til now. But PS1 might be a good one for it.

If anything the 360 and PS3 would be the SNES and Genesis where most of the games are multiplat and both have great exclusives as well. The Wii seems to be declining in game quality but still selling, so I agree that it's unique. Baffles me, that's for sure. I've been considering selling my Wii for quite awhile. What is there to play lately?

windbane said:
If anything the 360 and PS3 would be the SNES and Genesis where most of the games are multiplat and both have great exclusives as well. The Wii seems to be declining in game quality but still selling, so I agree that it's unique. Baffles me, that's for sure. I've been considering selling my Wii for quite awhile. What is there to play lately?

I see--so which one of the 360 or PS3 is the market leader, again?

Also, with the SNES and Genesis, almost zero games were multiplat.  Even if they had the same name and were from the same franchise, they were different games.

For example, both had a Shadowrun RPG, but the only similarity was that they were set in the same universe.  The Ninja turtles games, Power Rangers games, Disney games, EA games, etc., were always completely unique to the platform.  That's one thing the last couple of generationshave been sorely lacking.

What you consider a quality game does not equal what everyone thinks is a quality game.  I've been playing Animal Crossing more than anything else lately, despite picking up Left 4 Dead at the same time and Gears 2 earlier in the month.  Take your fanboy goggles off, sell your Wii if you don't like it, and stop crying.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
thekitchensink said:
windbane said:

Also, with the SNES and Genesis, almost zero games were multiplat. Even if they had the same name and were from the same franchise, they were different games.

For example, both had a Shadowrun RPG, but the only similarity was that they were set in the same universe. The Ninja turtles games, Power Rangers games, Disney games, EA games, etc., were always completely unique to the platform. That's one thing the last couple of generationshave been sorely lacking.

What you consider a quality game does not equal what everyone thinks is a quality game. I've been playing Animal Crossing more than anything else lately, despite picking up Left 4 Dead at the same time and Gears 2 earlier in the month. Take your fanboy goggles off, sell your Wii if you don't like it, and stop crying.

Yeah, and Mortal Kombat had blood on Genesis but not on SNES.  The games were the same.  There are tons of exclusives now, just like then, but both also have multiplats.  There were tons of multiplats.

But whatever, I've said many times that this generation isn't like any others.  Obviously the Wii is market leader.

I'm sure there are many quality games to a lot of people, but if you look at the most objective measure of metacritic rankings, the Wii has mostly mediocre games for many months, whereas the other 2 systems have great games all the time.

My fanboy goggles are off.  If the Wii wasn't still selling over retail on ebay I wouldn't consider selling it, but right now there are far too many PS3 games (and even Persona 3 and 4 on PS2) for me to play that I no longer have time to try out Wii games looking for another Warioware or Boom Blox.  I finished Galaxy (great game), didn't like Metroid, didn't really take to Brawl (although I own it), was disappointed in Mario Kart (my favorite racing series ever), and don't see a reason to play any multiplats on Wii (such as Star Wars and CoD5).

How about next time you let me have my opinion and leave it at that. though?

PS3 = N64 = most powerful console on the market, late launch, different media
Wii = PS1 = new leader, weakest console, focus on expanding console market

to causewindbane said:
thekitchensink said:
windbane said:

Also, with the SNES and Genesis, almost zero games were multiplat. Even if they had the same name and were from the same franchise, they were different games.

For example, both had a Shadowrun RPG, but the only similarity was that they were set in the same universe. The Ninja turtles games, Power Rangers games, Disney games, EA games, etc., were always completely unique to the platform. That's one thing the last couple of generationshave been sorely lacking.

What you consider a quality game does not equal what everyone thinks is a quality game. I've been playing Animal Crossing more than anything else lately, despite picking up Left 4 Dead at the same time and Gears 2 earlier in the month. Take your fanboy goggles off, sell your Wii if you don't like it, and stop crying.

Yeah, and Mortal Kombat had blood on Genesis but not on SNES.  The games were the same.  There are tons of exclusives now, just like then, but both also have multiplats.  There were tons of multiplats.

But whatever, I've said many times that this generation isn't like any others.  Obviously the Wii is market leader.

I'm sure there are many quality games to a lot of people, but if you look at the most objective measure of metacritic rankings, the Wii has mostly mediocre games for many months, whereas the other 2 systems have great games all the time.

My fanboy goggles are off.  If the Wii wasn't still selling over retail on ebay I wouldn't consider selling it, but right now there are far too many PS3 games (and even Persona 3 and 4 on PS2) for me to play that I no longer have time to try out Wii games looking for another Warioware or Boom Blox.  I finished Galaxy (great game), didn't like Metroid, didn't really take to Brawl (although I own it), was disappointed in Mario Kart (my favorite racing series ever), and don't see a reason to play any multiplats on Wii (such as Star Wars and CoD5).

How about next time you let me have my opinion and leave it at that. though?

Sorry, it wasn't my intention to cause conflict--the fanboy comment was unnecessary, and I apologize.

I wasn't meaning to put down your opinion, I was just trying to have a friendly debate.  Sorry if it sounded rude.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Zucas said:
360 is just like the Xbox, just selling better haha. PS3 is more akin to the Genesis. Wii is a lot like, well nothing really before it. It's games really relate to NES and SNES while sales are not like anything else. It's followed its own trends up til now. But PS1 might be a good one for it.

The 360 is a melding of the PS2 and the Xbox. The PS3 is in full on Xbox waters and the Wii is in a league of its own.

Here is my take on the HD systems... for this Gen.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o