By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony sold 1 MILLION PS3 in November!

Sullla said:

If we take this stance, it's impossible to make any comparisons about anything:

Did the Gamecube sell well for its price?

How about the Neo-Geo? Best-selling $700 console ever!

What about the Gizmondo? It sold great for its price! Never mind that it lost so much money that it destroyed its parent company...

I think the Phantom was the best-selling console ever for one that was never released. It sold infinitely well for its price! [/sarcasm]

Stop making BS excuses. Bottom line: holiday sales should never decrease for any healthy platform entering its third holiday season. I dare you to find any successful video game platform that saw sales go DOWN in the third holiday. Because I've run the numbers on a ton of them, and I can't find any. N64, XBox, Gamecube - they all went up in their third holiday. The only one I can think of that went down was Dreamcast, and that's because the whole damn thing was discontinued earlier that year.

I understand your point

but we are still on recession and PS3 is still the most expensive console on the market whatever you want to spin it.

And looking on past consoles/numbers will never be helpfull since all is different each gen (and particularly this one). Just look at TheSource expecting PS3 to outsell Xbox360 based on last year numbers ...

@Jmoney2786,

sorry man but in 2007 it was not as strong as today AND it was not "marketed" as today ...

Time to Work !

Around the Network

wow 1 million people buying a dead console in recession? ps3 is dead for sure.  imagine if sony cut the ps3 price to $199 for just 1 week. i would love to see the numbers then.

~flame said:
this thread is a fail.LOL

Jmoney2786 said:

if u haven't noticed we were in a recession this time last year too...go google government admits recession has been going on since 2007 if u dont believe me.

No offense, Sony can only blame themselves. Not enough good games to justify the price. Yes I understand we are in an ecomonic crisis right now and that the 360 has 90% ( i think it's more like 60% cuz of the consant cancellations and coming out a yuear earlier but wutever) of the same games the ps3 has, but understand this in general:

I'm goin to the store holiday season looking for a cheap good graphics console(aka I'm a naive consumer) and I see the wii the 360, the ps3, and the ps2.

PS2: already had it,dont want it cuz intelligent enough to know that it's last gen, dont want it period.

Wii: Looks last gen ( I said naive consumer not stupid),sold out, or already have it.

PS3, Too expensive period, Too expensive to have games that are on other cheaper console with mostly same graphics,Still developing might wait another year.

360: RROD ( though it's becoming less and less likely with the newer models),don't like Microsoft( yes there are those people),"know that u need a hdd to get online, pay 50 dollars a year for live"

now I quoted the last part for a reason, unless the guys read the fine print, the wont know that last part and most likely buy an arcade which is the cheapest of them all of the current gen....kno if u are naive consumer...what would u pick...recession or not?

Actually, you don't need a hdd to get online. You need a hdd to download demos and store stuffs, but you can already play on xbox live with the arcade. That's what even people on the Internet don't know. And yes, even some associates at best buy or gamespot don't know it.

Sullla said:
libellule said:
Sullla,

hum,

last year it was just after a price drop
now we are 1 year after the price drop

last year, Xbox360 (the big foe playing on direct competition) was more expensive
this year, it received a price drop and is now the cheapiest console this gen

last year, we were not in recession
this year, we are (and media are even pushing it by focusing on it)

(I still see how Wii/360 are selling much better than PS3, but I also see PS3 is doing not bad considering the price)

If we take this stance, it's impossible to make any comparisons about anything:

Did the Gamecube sell well for its price?

How about the Neo-Geo? Best-selling $700 console ever!

What about the Gizmondo? It sold great for its price! Never mind that it lost so much money that it destroyed its parent company...

I think the Phantom was the best-selling console ever for one that was never released. It sold infinitely well for its price! [/sarcasm]

Stop making BS excuses. Bottom line: holiday sales should never decrease for any healthy platform entering its third holiday season. I dare you to find any successful video game platform that saw sales go DOWN in the third holiday. Because I've run the numbers on a ton of them, and I can't find any. N64, XBox, Gamecube - they all went up in their third holiday. The only one I can think of that went down was Dreamcast, and that's because the whole damn thing was discontinued earlier that year.

wow, someone wants ps3 to fail.

Around the Network

Don't blame the messenger, GTAIV08. If you want to pretend that holiday sales declining year on year is a positive sign, be my guest. Whatever gets you through the day.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

GTAIV08 said:

wow 1 million people buying a dead console in recession? ps3 is dead for sure.  imagine if sony cut the ps3 price to $199 for just 1 week. i would love to see the numbers then.

wow, atleast somebody got the point and is not a blind troll. =))

Come on, it`s a MILLION, why you are not happy people? Just because other consoles sold more? And YET, PS3 did 1 MILLION consoles in November, probably will sell another 2 MILLIONS in December. ;)

@heruamon, i  only say, that the most expensive console today sold 1 MILLION in November. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 08th Nov 2008 to 29th Nov 2008:

Console PS3
Total

At 400$/€. How bad for Sony... =)
it probably will sell 2 MILLIONS or even more in December, again at 400$/€.
Selling 3 mln. consoles in 2 months probably is very BAD. PS3 is dying. =)))

Wait...are you boasting about selling 1 mln consles...lol...or about MONEY...against M$ and Nintendo?  Those companies have money that makes Sony look like a pauper!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

CrazzyMan said:
GTAIV08 said:

wow, atleast somebody got the point and is not a blind troll. =))

Come on, it`s a MILLION, why you are not happy? Just because other consoels sold more? YET, PS3 did 1 MILLION consoles in November, probably will sell another 2 MILLIONS in December. ;)

Since when is 1 million console sales WW in November a big deal for any console let alone a console with Playstation as part of its name.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

I was missing Crazzyman's spin.

OT: In fact I agree with you, the PS3 is not dying. It's just that the 360 and the Wii are doing better than everyone expected, while the PS3 is doing worse.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957