By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - not 1st or 2nd..but 3rd party developers?!?!?

makingmusic476 said:

2nd party studio = an independent studio that is tied exclusively to one of the three console manufacturers, and only makes 2nd party exclusives for that company.

Insomniac is a 2nd party developer, and it looks like Media Molecule now is as well.  We don't know if they are tied to Sony via any sort of contracts, but Sony owns the IPs they work on (Ratchet, LBP), and they only have titles in the works for Sony's consoles.

Level 5 are a 3rd party developer that makes some 2nd party titles for Sony (Sony owns the White Knight Chronicles IP, and is fully funding development. They did the same for Dark Cloud 1/2, Rogue Galaxy, and Jeanne D'Arc).

Well explained. Music... im still scared of you though. :P very informative none-the less. :P

Around the Network

Level 5's most popular franchise (Professor Layton) is on the DS.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

You didn't realize that when you say how the DS games they've released and are working on??

4 ≈ One

@kantor

the difference between 2nd party and 3rd party is a contract between the 2 companies...sony and whoever...could be insomniac and media molecule...neither of those 2 companies have a contract(i think media molecule has gotten a contract recently or about to get contract...but not entirely sure...so 3rd party for now) stating they can only make games for the sony consoles....it's their own free will to make only sony games...which makes them 3rd party...not a 2nd party developer...while their games are 2nd party title...they are not 2nd party developers...just because they haven't made games yet for 360 or wii doesn't mean they are 2nd party developers...