By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Theory: MS Is A Major Part of Why the Japanese Market is Down.

Darc Requiem said:
Wow? This was joke post right? Apple had no trouble crushing Sony in the portable music player market in the Japan. That alone makes your assumptions invalid. The Japanese market is the way it is for two reasons, Nintendo saw the shift in play styles coming and Sony thought they could do no wrong.

Sony has a dearth of IPs that would appeal to the Japanese market. Unfortunately for them, they've chosen not to use them. Sony's biggest problem outside of the ludicrous pricing was and is games. To my knowledge, Sony has yet to release a JRPG based on their own IPs. Why isn't there a Wild ARMs, Legend of Dragoon, Arc The Lad, or Alundra for PS3 yet?

Sony has focused near exclusively on Western style games. I see PS3 owners continuing the blame MS for the situation in Japan when its all on Sony. They were arrogant and it bit them in the rear. MS didn't make Sony focus their first party efforts on Western style games, Sony did that of their on volition. They took the Japanese market for granted. They assumed Nintendo would be a non factor and MS just cede Japan to them. Neither proved to be the case and now they find themselves in a bind.

Too many PS3 owners seemed to have bought the console based on assumption. You have no one but yourself to blame but yourself if that is the case. Merely looking at the upcoming release lists would have saved some people on this board a lot of heartache and spared us forum goers a lot of bitterness. If you buy for the brand instead of for the games you will get burned.

no it was not a joke post. gaming in japan is different that MP3 players that seems rather obvious. I said sony was at fault too (the western thing).. hmm, anything else... I did not say MS was the only reason for the Japanese woes, they are just a major part. hmm...

Ok, lets look at it by your perspective. Japanese will buy american goods if they are better... So then... why is the PS3 still outselling the 360 despite the 360 having all the good Jrpgs and such? I mean if the 360 is the same as an ipod it should have sold since it was the best product for them....

OR maybe Japanese really dont like buying western gaming... stuff.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
bigjon said:
seece said:
If "they" "refuse until death to purchase a foriegn console." then I don't care if they're missing out. The ones who have no bias will go out and pick up a 360 and enjoy all the JRPG's!

You're such a hypocrit, I made a post the other day about sony with NO hate whatsoever and you label me a hater, would it be wrong for me to labal YOU an M$ hater right now?

No you called me a sony fanboy(i am by no means a sony fanboy), different than a MS hater. Also I do not hate MS, I prefer PCs, Zunes, and such. I have always hated the way the xbox division has chosen to market the xbox line (also for the same reason I hate apple's marketing, with there patronizing commercials). The original just made me laugh... "if we put a big X on it and tell people its way cooler people will buy ours more than theres...." sadly that does work on the 13-17 year old age group....

Maybe you're anti-marketing in general.

Bolded part sounds really foolish. The "X" in xbox comes from the original intended name the "DirectXBox", because it used DirectX technology...introduced in 1995... They didn't slap on the X for marketing purposes. You need to lighten up and do more research.

bigjon said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
bigjon said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
bigjon said:
it is not crazzy. all of the japanese games are on the western console, is that a good sumation for you.

Bigjon, the Japanese can hate the 360 all they want. It's showing nothing but bias and stupidity.

I do not think it is anymore stupid than an American wanted american "you name it"

In fact given the choice I will choice something made in America as long as it is better quality (usually that is what it is implying when they say that)

Big Jon....um....Americans are the most open minded buyers of all free market societies. They'll buy from anyone as long as it's quality and has a fair price. This can even be at the expense of their own economy. As I said....clear bias from Japan.

yes we will, but most of us still prefer made in US goods. If for the only reason being economic.

Yes...a minority of the U.S who realize the ails of our dwindling economy. The Japanese are dominating the middle class vehicle sales/electronics/cell phones in America. Especially the Europeans amongst choice upper middle class-upper class vehicles.

This "360 has all the games" is BS. All it has over the PS3 are JRPG's, and none of them are all that big. Before accusing the Japanese of bias, take a damn closer look at the games they buy.

Again, this is just another case of people overrating the importance of JRPG's. They aren't the only games Japanese buy, far from it. Take a look at what was under the FF's / DQ's in the PS2 era:

5 Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec Sony Computer Entertainment

1.89m
7 Minna no Golf 3 Sony Computer Entertainment

1.39m
8 Everybodys Golf 3 Sony Computer Entertainment

1.39m
9 Minna no Golf 4 Sony Computer Entertainment

1.34m
24 Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Konami

0.87m
25 Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Konami

0.86m
29 Yakuza 2 Sega

0.75m
31 Yakuza Sega

0.74m

These are all franchises still exclusive to the PS3. The only JRPG's that topped these games were FF, DQ, and KH. None of which are on the 360. The first Tales game (360's biggest) doesn't show up until #40, with .59m sales.

Oh, and let's not forget - FFXIII is still exclusive to the PS3 there. Not to mention FFXIIIv...

ymeaga1n said:
bigjon said:
seece said:
If "they" "refuse until death to purchase a foriegn console." then I don't care if they're missing out. The ones who have no bias will go out and pick up a 360 and enjoy all the JRPG's!

You're such a hypocrit, I made a post the other day about sony with NO hate whatsoever and you label me a hater, would it be wrong for me to labal YOU an M$ hater right now?

No you called me a sony fanboy(i am by no means a sony fanboy), different than a MS hater. Also I do not hate MS, I prefer PCs, Zunes, and such. I have always hated the way the xbox division has chosen to market the xbox line (also for the same reason I hate apple's marketing, with there patronizing commercials). The original just made me laugh... "if we put a big X on it and tell people its way cooler people will buy ours more than theres...." sadly that does work on the 13-17 year old age group....

Maybe you're anti-marketing in general.

Bolded part sounds really foolish. The "X" in xbox comes from the original intended name the "DirectXBox", because it used DirectX technology...introduced in 1995... They didn't slap on the X for marketing purposes. You need to lighten up and do more research.

or maybe because back in 2001 EVERYTHING was X... Xgames, Xmen, Xtreme Sports... etc. Because using X with every thing was like Xtra cool. Especially with cool alien green stuff.

yes I am kinda antimarketing. I think people are stupid for falling for all of the various ploys and such. I only like market where people advertise their products, it is when they use association I get annoyed really quick. (example- The I'm Luving it McDonald commerical drive/drove me nuts)

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

this guy argue holds some water it would explain why some jrpg's like the last remenant and infinite undiscovery dont sell well or have any legs cos they are on the wrong platform but this is also major fact that japan is owned by the portable market these days since the console is cheaper and has more established games and easier to develop for

bigjon said:
Darc Requiem said:
Wow? This was joke post right? Apple had no trouble crushing Sony in the portable music player market in the Japan. That alone makes your assumptions invalid. The Japanese market is the way it is for two reasons, Nintendo saw the shift in play styles coming and Sony thought they could do no wrong.

Sony has a dearth of IPs that would appeal to the Japanese market. Unfortunately for them, they've chosen not to use them. Sony's biggest problem outside of the ludicrous pricing was and is games. To my knowledge, Sony has yet to release a JRPG based on their own IPs. Why isn't there a Wild ARMs, Legend of Dragoon, Arc The Lad, or Alundra for PS3 yet?

Sony has focused near exclusively on Western style games. I see PS3 owners continuing the blame MS for the situation in Japan when its all on Sony. They were arrogant and it bit them in the rear. MS didn't make Sony focus their first party efforts on Western style games, Sony did that of their on volition. They took the Japanese market for granted. They assumed Nintendo would be a non factor and MS just cede Japan to them. Neither proved to be the case and now they find themselves in a bind.

Too many PS3 owners seemed to have bought the console based on assumption. You have no one but yourself to blame but yourself if that is the case. Merely looking at the upcoming release lists would have saved some people on this board a lot of heartache and spared us forum goers a lot of bitterness. If you buy for the brand instead of for the games you will get burned.

no it was not a joke post. gaming in japan is different that MP3 players that seems rather obvious. I said sony was at fault too (the western thing).. hmm, anything else... I did not say MS was the only reason for the Japanese woes, they are just a major part. hmm...

Ok, lets look at it by your perspective. Japanese will buy american goods if they are better... So then... why is the PS3 still outselling the 360 despite the 360 having all the good Jrpgs and such? I mean if the 360 is the same as an ipod it should have sold since it was the best product for them....

OR maybe Japanese really dont like buying western gaming... stuff.

See the line I bolded in my first paragraph? There is your answer. Nintendo saw the shift in play styles coming. Nintendo saw that portables and pick up and play console games were the wave of the future in Japan. Sony and MS both targeted fading part of the market. Sony has sold as well as they have off of brand recognition. Similar how the N64 sold well initially in Japan. The 360 is the successor to the X-box. A system that had about as poor of a lineup for Japan as possible. The 360 had to establish itself as viable alternative before the Japanese would even take a look in its direction.

The Wii is only slightly behind the PS2's pace in Japan. Nintendo has accomplished this feat solely on their own for the most part. With third parties finally seeing the forest for the trees in Japan, you can only expect the Wii sales numbers to get stronger. Now if DQX hits Wii and does poor numbers, then you can say the Japanese market is down. However, given the fact average at best DQ Swords sold so well, I don't think that will be the case.

c0rd said:

This "360 has all the games" is BS. All it has over the PS3 are JRPG's, and none of them are all that big. Before accusing the Japanese of bias, take a damn closer look at the games they buy.

Again, this is just another case of people overrating the importance of JRPG's. They aren't the only games Japanese buy, far from it. Take a look at what was under the FF's / DQ's in the PS2 era:

5 Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec Sony Computer Entertainment

1.89m
7 Minna no Golf 3 Sony Computer Entertainment

1.39m
8 Everybodys Golf 3 Sony Computer Entertainment

1.39m
9 Minna no Golf 4 Sony Computer Entertainment

1.34m
24 Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Konami

0.87m
25 Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Konami

0.86m
29 Yakuza 2 Sega

0.75m
31 Yakuza Sega

0.74m

These are all franchises still exclusive to the PS3. The only JRPG's that topped these games were FF, DQ, and KH. None of which are on the 360. The first Tales game (360's biggest) doesn't show up until #40, with .59m sales.

Oh, and let's not forget - FFXIII is still exclusive to the PS3 there. Not to mention FFXIIIv...

All of the best selling JRPG's are the ones Microsoft is targeting. 3rd party titles are open season these days. There is a huge chance they wont be taking sides this gen. FFXIII....wont sell better than America in Japan. You put Japan on a this pedestal. Because of Japanese bias, its the only reason of the exclusion of multiplatform version of FFXIII. This is the truth. Microsoft is evening out the playing field with Sony. 

You go and put all your faith in versus. It will sell nowhere near XIII because of the fact that its a PS3 exclusive.

Goddamn japanese!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Kind of but wrong, japanese market for home consoles just shrank over time is all, between PsX and Ps2 the market there for home consoles showed it's feathers but at some point that market or the majority of that markets requirements changed.

I'm more along the lines of believing that the major part of that market is disinterested due to the nature of a home console, and that hand helds prove this as even the PSP it being the losing platform in sheer volume is still doing very well for itself.

Software however proves this even further as these people seem not to purchase relative ammounts of software, the DS simply has a lot of units out there so the software seems like a lot is being moved.

I've heard pirating is the blame but people may just not be needing of that software, the nature of a game is that it is very time extensive, prehaps the portable form of gaming allows for the easy access that home consoles don't have and that these people just view games as being not valuable enough to consume that much time. (They play games in shorter doces thus taking longer to complete the game and in turn taking longer to consider purchasing the next game.)

It would kind of make sense to conclude that handhelds are hurting home consoles. I could probably safely put the blame on Ipod style technology.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D