By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How bad has square enix been for sony this gen

Lurker said:
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

1 - Never say you're an expert of ANYTHING on a forum

2 - So, by the amount of people in Japan who own XBox 360s, they are all traitors to their country and their culture?

3 - The news on FF 13 coming to the 360 is about 3 months old now. I'm sure all of Japan who is interested has heard about it.

4 - Theoretically, Squaresoft abandoned and screwed over Nintendo first, at the time of the Playstation 1. By your logic, Square should quit making 360 AND Sony games and repent by going back to Nintendo.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Lurker said:

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I totally agree. Wada must commit public sudoku! For glorious Nippon!

I think you got that wrong... its "glorious Nikkon"

See I'm an expert too!

:p

edit - How can I end this thread without using "/sarcasm" ??

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Look at this a little differently. YOU are S-E. You've made money from placing your games on Nintendo systems, and in later years on PS systems. Sony releases an expensive console that is hard to develop for and quickly becomes last place in the console race.

Do you put your two mainline games on the losing system because your last games were there?

Half the FF games were Nintendo exclusives, half were Sony. Nintendo's #1 console is not a graphics powerhouse, but might get 50% or more of the marketshare. The battling HD consoles will split the other 50% or less. FF fans care about the graphics. Do you put FFXIII exclusively on the lowest selling HD console with around 21% of the gaming market, or put it on both HD consoles to try and reach 50% of the total market. I think even without $'s from Microsoft, the answer is an obvious business choice. And to thank Sony for the years you prospered there, you give them 100% of the Japanese marketshare for this game.

All but two of the Dragon Quest games were made for and on Nintendo systems. The PS2 only had 2, so how can you even have the audacity to say Dragon Quest going to Nintendo is Sony betrayal? Especially with the PS3 having the lowest marketshare. Unlike FF, Dragon Quest is NOT a graphics powerhouse, and Nintendo is winning Japan (the only region where this games sells really well), and the rest of the world as well. So IX goes to DS (handhelds rule Japan), and X goes to Wii. Nintendo has most of the markets, and has offered to help expand DQ's userbase to the west with the promise of Nintendo's full marketing power behind these games.

The question again,

Do you put your two mainline games on only the losing system because your last games were there?

The correct answer for anyone in business, "Not only no but HELL NO!"

Again, Sony did this to themselves. They lost the console empire on thier own, 100%. http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=52464&page=1

Square is a simply a third party developer doing smart business and is acting exactly as they should.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Gatorgamer88 said:

It you havent heard Final Fantasy VII has gone to SONY.

Which is a joke, i mean square enix might as well have slapped Nintendo in the face. I know its a business move and now Playstation will get to see why Nintendo used to dominate. But i mean all Nintendo has ever done is make square money. But the real reason i am writing this is to get some opinions on how bad this move is for Nintendo. I mean obvioulsy FFVII will sell double or triple on PS1 and have not near as good as N64 graphics, etc as it was originally made for obtaining money?? but how much has Nintendo lost here? And FFVIII  is probably on the way, because we all know how believeable Square is. Maybe Nintendo will have other RPG's to keep the genre going on their system.

Nintendo survived just fine if my Memory is correct.

4 ≈ One

Lurker said:

Can someone post the sales of Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant for JPN???? I'm pretty sure those games sold more than Zero units.....

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
One_touch_KO said:
Lurker said:

Troll post of the year.

I know right??? And does he really think SE will read this thread and do just that?? :S....

4 ≈ One

Tbone said:
I thing i dont understand if they can make FF13 multi why cant they do the same with Star ocean 4.

Because Wada likes the 360.....

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
Tbone said:
I thing i dont understand if they can make FF13 multi why cant they do the same with Star ocean 4.

Wada like the 360 not only because of it's userbase, but because it's like developing for a PC. Development costs are much higher on PS3 due to the Cell. There could be a moneyhat something something going on as well, but from a business perspective these moves actually make sense without no moneyhatting.

Remember the PS3 is not only expensive for the consumer, but for a developer as well.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
radioioRobert said:
Dgc1808 said:
Tbone said:

Wada like the 360 not only because of it's userbase, but because it's like developing for a PC. Development costs are much higher on PS3 due to the Cell. There could be a moneyhat something something going on as well, but from a business perspective these moves actually make sense without no moneyhatting.

Remember the PS3 is not only expensive for the consumer, but for a developer as well.

That also makes alot of sense since SE recently stated that they've been developing their games on PC first for years now. Since early final fantasy days even.

4 ≈ One

Mummelmann said:
Madanial said:
SE doing business,they neither friend nor brother with Sony.SE just goes anywhere that make money.

Same as make FFVII for PS and leave N64 behind.

I just had to answer this; have you heard of a movie called Final Fantasy: Spirits Within? It was made by (then) Squaresoft and it didn't do too well... What ensued after might be of interest to you (honestly).

From what I've heard Sony heavily advertised this movie and after it's huge unsuccess, Sony bailed them out (I think by buying a share of the company or something, someone can correct me here). 

I saw the movie back then and didn't think it was half bad. 

Anyways, SE isn't a second party developer for Sony despite what some people may think.  I know a lot of people think this as betrayal and dishonor, but really it's not like SE just switched platforms, they just expanded it's playability.  I know this will sound mega-corny, but if you were a true fan of the series, you would like having more people get into the series.  /cliche

Dgc1808 said:
Gatorgamer88 said:

It you havent heard Final Fantasy VII has gone to SONY.

Which is a joke, i mean square enix might as well have slapped Nintendo in the face. I know its a business move and now Playstation will get to see why Nintendo used to dominate. But i mean all Nintendo has ever done is make square money. But the real reason i am writing this is to get some opinions on how bad this move is for Nintendo. I mean obvioulsy FFVII will sell double or triple on PS1 and have not near as good as N64 graphics, etc as it was originally made for obtaining money?? but how much has Nintendo lost here? And FFVIII  is probably on the way, because we all know how believeable Square is. Maybe Nintendo will have other RPG's to keep the genre going on their system.

Nintendo survived just fine if my Memory is correct.

Well, yes obviously they did (or they wouldn't be here today), but one thing I do know is that Nintendo has always made smart business moves, and does know how to get profit (of course not including Virtual Boy).

ctk495 said:
Well let's see:
FFXIII multiplatform.
Star Ocean 4 360 exclusive.
DQX wii exclusive

Well, DQX going Wii exclusive is just speculation, but imo, it most likely probably will stay exclusive.  And as for SO4, didn't Square say there are no plans so far.  Meaning it probably will stay exclusive, just not guaranteed.  Anyways if I recall correctly, SE did say at the beginning of this generation that it will be making games for all platforms.