By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How bad has square enix been for sony this gen

forevercloud3000 said:
c0rd said:

@forevercloud3000: Are you trying to tell me that if RE4 did not arrive on the PS2, 2.71m more Gamecubes would have been sold?

I'm sorry, but I find that to be pretty ridiculous.

I think you are looking at it in reverse. Yes it came to gamecube first, but if you remember correctly RE is an EX PS exclusive franchise, the fanbase lied with PS2. When you look at the numbers of PS2 one compared to the GC one, you can see if they had not tried to pull the whole GC exclusive thing those sales would have all been on PS2.

That may be the case, but this gen many old PS2 users have skipped out on the PS3, and bought the 360. There are more people in this catagory than you'd like to believe. The fact is, most people cannot afford more than one system (or just can't justify paying the price). If someone only likes a handful of games on the PS3 (FFXIII included), they may have skipped out on the game.

Take a look at Halo 3's sales, and how well it's doing above the 2nd game. If Halo 2 were released on a more popular system last gen, it probably would have sold more.

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:

1. Talking about misinformed: The N64 was leaps and bounds more powerfull than the PS1.

Not to mention that it was $ony that  dumped Nintendo. N64 should initially have a CD driver in it made by $ony, but $ony decided to make their own console. Square had to go to the psone, since the catridge had limited space. Of course FFVII was technically gimped down for the psone compared to the FFVI 3D demo .

square will learn their lesson when they see the sales of final fantasy 13. for me it doesnt matter, im only getting versus because it just looks better and im not paying 120 dollars.

c0rd said:
forevercloud3000 said:
c0rd said:

@forevercloud3000: Are you trying to tell me that if RE4 did not arrive on the PS2, 2.71m more Gamecubes would have been sold?

I'm sorry, but I find that to be pretty ridiculous.

I think you are looking at it in reverse. Yes it came to gamecube first, but if you remember correctly RE is an EX PS exclusive franchise, the fanbase lied with PS2. When you look at the numbers of PS2 one compared to the GC one, you can see if they had not tried to pull the whole GC exclusive thing those sales would have all been on PS2.

That may be the case, but this gen many old PS2 users have skipped out on the PS3, and bought the 360. There are more people in this catagory than you'd like to believe. The fact is, most people cannot afford more than one system (or just can't justify paying the price). If someone only likes a handful of games on the PS3 (FFXIII included), they may have skipped out on the game.

Take a look at Halo 3's sales, and how well it's doing above the 2nd game. If Halo 2 were released on a more popular system last gen, it probably would have sold more.

Have you seen how much FF's sell of late? 5-7million at best. All the next gen systems have userbases larger then that so who is to say that majority of the FF fanbase is on any of them? 5-7 can be placed inside any of the next gen systems without issue. I have already proved with other post that MP games do not magically make a game sell better then its predecessors in a franchise, they sell about the same unless acted upon by an outside force. That would intail good marketing, bigger budget stuff, and put simply if it is a phenomonally better game(where all that porting money SHOULD have been spent).

Initially my main justification for buying a PS3 was FFXIII and Versus. I had other picks but they were the biggest ones. As long as FF was coming none of the other stuff mattered. I can assure you there are millions of buyers like me who can justify a purchase with a single game. Halo 3 was one, MGS4 was one, FFXIII will be the next.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

I don't buy FF's selling 5-7 million at best. The last two we've seen haven't been "normal" FF's - FFX-2 is a sequel, something never done before. FFXII was released very late into the system's life, and went in a different art direction (similar to FF9 - check the sales of that game). On top of that, the gameplay was changed - it's the only FF that isn't turn based.

I'm sure there are some buyers willing to purchase a console for a single game, but there's definitely not many. Are there no games on the 360 you would like to play? I've been a fan of FF ever since FF6 came out, but I skipped out on the PS1. I wasn't very interested in the console, so I couldn't buy FF7-9 (not until years after the PS2 came out, anyway).

Anyway, I didn't see you prove anything about MP games. How do you explain GTA3 sales on Xbox? Do you think Call of Duty or GTA4 would have sold 10m+ on the PS3/360 alone? Why did Elder Scrolls, an XBox franchise, sell 3/4 of a million on the PS3? Do you think if Halo 3 or Gears of War 2 were released on PS3 now, it wouldn't sell?

Around the Network
Lurker said:
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I swear I've read this somewhere before....

De85 said:
forevercloud3000 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
forevercloud3000 said:
FaRmLaNd said:
If FF13 was exclusive to the ps3 I and millions of other 360 only owners wouldn't get to play. That is why its multi-platform.

No, you , and millions of other 360 owners would have bought PS3s, one way or another. Dont pull that crap. If you are a fan of the series you WERE goingto buy a PS3, until the MP thing, no use denying it. Yea  its exspensive, but you would have found a way to get it just how you got your 360. It really is not that hard to figure out.

PS2 took up an estimated 80% of the userbase last gen. It was cheaper then Xbox was. FF games of late on average sell about 5million. Do you really think that if it was multiplat then that another 5million people were going to miraculously appear as fans on the XBOX for it. NO. USerbase does not equal sales unless your taget audience is included. If XIII is good its good, it will sell 5mill+, but it would have been just the same if it was on PS3. Maybe 10% less at the most. Is that 10% worth shelling out man power to work on an adjacent title so it can "widen userbase"?

The whole MP equals Sales logic is flawed....

Man, what delusion. If what you claimed was true, there would be no need to put the game on the 360. The sales would be assured. But S-E doesn't rely on fanboys like you, so they put it on two systems to increase sales.

I love it when people try to denounce my claim yet have no real argument. how about you give some concrete reasoning for a MP game selling better then an exclusive one and we will talk.

Halo 3, an exclusive game for 360 that has out sold majority of MP games this gen(8.6 million). It was only barely out sold by COD4 which is somewhere around 10-11million(PS3+360). That is less then either systems entire userbases seperate.

GTAIV was also around 11million.  GTAIII sold 11.6 million while still exclusive to PS2 alone.

DMC4 sold almost 2.5 million. DMC 1 sold 2.77million as a PS2 exclusive.

Ok, Now lets tally up. What are the most successful Games?

Halo3(8mill)

Gran Turismo 3 A Spec (14mill)

Final Fantasy VII10-11mill)

Gears of War (5.5mil)

New Super Mario Bros. (16mill)

Mario Kart Wii(11mil)

Crash Bandicoot 2 (7.5mil)

Jak and Daxter(3.5mil)

Metal Gear Solid (5.6mill)

Pokemon Red/Green/Blue (31mill)

God of War (3.2mil)

Kingdom Hearts (5.5mill)

WOW would you look at that. Majority of the best known and best selling franchise leaders are all exclusive titles. Who would have thunk it?

Now lets got to the Top 5 selling franchises of all time!

1. Mario
  2. Pokemon
  3. The Sims
  4. Final Fantasy
  5. Need For Speed

3/5 are exclusive franchises to a console or another (except FF of late but they do nto factor into statistics)

What does this Prove?

That making a game Multiplat does not equal better sales.

Now What Have we learned?

Just curious, what will the talking points be next year when GTA4 pushes past that 11.6 M, and DMC4 has eclipsed 2.77M?

Also, you may be right that hardcore fans of the series would have bought a PS3 to play FF13, but you're missing the much larger segment of the population that is unwilling to purchase a new console for one game, but would happily pick up the game for the system they already own if it were available.  I will buy FF13 for 360 when it comes out, but would never have even considered picking up a PS3 just to play it.

I'd also point out that most of those games were on systems that are more popular than the PS3.

misterd said:
Lurker said:
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I swear I've read this somewhere before....

It was from a video of a guy mocking the Sony fanboys. He did a previous video mocking Nintendo fanboys for denying Brawl would be delayed.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs